International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Assistant on behalf of International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) to assist the research team working on genetic improvement of banana.
ILRI hosts the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in Nairobi. IITA (www.iita.org) with its headquarters in Ibadan, Nigeria, works with partners throughout Africa and beyond to reduce producer and consumer risks, enhance crop quality and productivity, and generate wealth from agriculture.
The Research Assistant will conduct the project activities efficiently and timely to generate transgenic plants, characterize them for transgene integration and expression and evaluate them for the disease resistant trait.
Research Assistant Job Responsibilities
- Maintenance and multiplication of tissue culture and transgenic banana plants
- Generation of transgenic banana plants
- Molecular characterization of transgenic plants
- Phenotyping of transgenic plants for disease resistance
- Maintenance of bacterial cultures
- Record keeping and data analysis
- Any other duties assigned
Requirements for the Research Assistant Job
- Degree in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Plant Science or relevant field.
- Experience in plant tissue culture, genetic transformation and molecular characterization of transgenic plants
- Able to cope with heavy intermittent workloads extending beyond office hours and during weekends
- Computer literacy, data organization and statistical analysis skills
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills.
How to Apply