ILRI NGO Jobs:Research Assistant – Animal Nutrition
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Livestock Systems and the Environment
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a research assistant to run animal trials on feed interventions, animal productivity and greenhouse gas emissions from livestock systems.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to livestock research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa (www.ilri.org).
The candidate will contribute to ongoing research projects which focus on identifying the conditions that enable and constrain East African dairy producers in adopting climate smart agriculture practices. The research team aims to develop specific baseline estimates of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from livestock and livestock related products such as manure, identify effects of livestock systems on water quality and water quantity and identify potential mitigation practices that also improve dairy/beef production in smallholder systems. The candidate is expected to work within an international dynamic team in ILRI’s Mazingira Centre (mazingira.ilri.org). The candidate will contribute to this by undertaking the following activities:
- To organize and supervise animal research trials
- To collect biological samples (live weight, urine, rumen liquid, greenhouse gas flux measurements) from livestock in experimental trials, under the guidance of senior project staff
- To assist with data input and processing (data organization, calculation of greenhouse gas fluxes from animal respiration chambers)
- To maintain relationships with different stakeholders including farmers and farmer groups, suppliers and ILRI ancillary staff, in order to facilitate the efficient prosecution of research trials
- Assisting Higher Degree (Research) students
- Other such duties as deemed consistent with the position by supervisor
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in applied science from a recognized university
- Demonstrated experience and ability in participation and contributing applied research trials involving ruminants
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively and collegially with technical and scientific staff and students
- Demonstrated experience and ability in handling and moving livestock (ie on a farm is an asset)
Terms of Appointment
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is on a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
This position is job level 2B, and ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above before 27 August, 2017. The position title and reference number REF: RA/SLS/08/2017 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI, visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org/
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.