The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Program Accountant to provide financial and administrative support including but not limited to preparation of donor reports for grants within the Animal Biosciences Program.
ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia.
The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animals’ alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases.
ILRI is a not-for-profit institution with a staff of about 700 and in 2016, an operating budget of about USD83 million. ILRI is a CGIAR research centre, working for a food-secure future.
- Develop and maintain appropriate databases to ensure project financial management is done to meet various program financial demands
- Prepare all projects payment requests for sub-grantees in collaboration with Program Management Officer (PMO) and Project Leaders
- Follow up with finance to ensure timely payments to sub-grantees and ensure transfer advices are shared with partners
- Ensure project partners’ financial returns are submitted. Review advance requests and financial returns by partners with reference to contractual obligations and partner financial obligations liquidation effected in the One Corporate System (OCS)
- Prepare detailed monthly, quarterly and annual internal financial reports as requested by PMO highlighting issues on over/under expenditure and adjustment of wrong postings in the system and also to facilitate monitoring and tracking of project finances, and decision making by Project leaders
- Maintain proper financial and project records of projects both soft and hard.
- Prepare donor financial reports/statement in collaboration with PMO, Project Leaders and Finance department and maintain appropriate compliance donor reporting databases
- Compute project accruals annually and during project close outs and ensure they are captured in the system
- Raise invoices & follow up reimbursements and transfer advices from partners/donors
- Lead project specific audit and support external/internal audit as may be found necessary
- Support annual budget preparation by working with PMO
- Participate in meetings during proposal development
- Provide advise especially in unit costs etc. towards development of proposal budgets
- Prepare proposal budgets for review by PMO and Project Leader
- Upload project budgets to the OCS System.
- Review Project Settlements Reports, Travel Expense Reports and TAs
- Review of all TORs for Program staff and consultants before approval by project leaders. Ensure that all support documents have been attached /provided for
- Bachelor of commerce (Finance option), Master of Business Administration (Finance option) will be an added advantage.
- Full accounting qualifications CPA (K) or ACCA
- Experience with Projects Accounting
- Minimum of three years of relevant working experience
- Good personal organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly effective multi-tasking skills, with ability to coordinate, prioritize and organize workload and meet deadlines
Terms of Appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is on a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
Job Level: This position is job level 2C, ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.