To support IMLU’s Vision 2021 that entails strengthening the social movement against torture, violence and discrimination, we are looking for a highly motivated individual for the role below.
Assistant Program Officer – Access to Justice Location Nairobi with frequent travel Reporting to Program Officer – Access to Justice Duration 1 year Required Immediate Closing 10th April 2017
The holder of the position is responsible for leading IMLU’s legal support to victims of torture, violence and discrimination. This will include intake of new clients, investigating, documenting and developing solid files for litigation and advocacy.
Assistant Program Officer Job Responsibilities
Leadership in Victim Support
- Screening of clients at intake
- Providing legal advise to clients
- Legal documentation and investigations of cases
- Preparing legal files and recommending to Programme Officer for litigation
- Effective and timely bring up of files
- Referrals to relevant offices
- Lead in maintaining up to date client data on IMLU’s data base
- Escorting clients to police stations to record statements or make inquiries
- Preparing case file petitions to relevant agencies and timely follow of each petition
- Identifying and recommending cases for cash bail support to programme officer for approval
- Updating clients on the progress of their cases and courts attendance
Pre-trial detention and Community Interventions
- Visiting pre-trial detainees for legal support
- Assigning and coordinating pre-trial detention interventions by paralegals
- Preparing requests for pre-trial interventions through network lawyers for PO approval
- Provide legal support in community awareness and advocacy initiatives
Programme Monitoring, Evaluation and Resource Mobilization
- Preparing high quality and timely relevant programme reports
- Preparing periodic (monthly, quarterly, annual ) analytical reports from case file data
- Providing relevant information for fundraising
- IMLU focal point within the national case referral network and Paralegals Support Network (PASUNE)
- Strengthening IMLUs presence and partnership in assigned strategic networks and movements
- Attend court cases to monitor IMLU pro bono lawyers and progress of cases
- Assist in the development and implementation of programme work plans and budgets
- Assist the PO in preparing legal opinions
- Assist the PO in convening monthly case management meetings
- Supporting the PO in capacity building of paralegals and court user committees
- Assist the PO in coordination and liaison with court user committees
- Assist the PO in organizing medical-legal camps in prisons
- Support APO Field Investigations in rapid response, investigation and fact finding interventions
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the Program Officer and/or the Executive Director
Key Qualifications for the Assistant Program Officer Job
- LL.B Degree, Advocate of the High Court of Kenya
- At least two years relevant experience in a similar position in a governance and human rights NGO
- Passion and motivation with persons in vulnerable situations and empathize with them.
- Proven legal analysis skills.
- Understanding of regional and international human rights mechanisms.
- Ability to organize work amidst pressure and prioritize tasks.
- Good communication and computer skills, willing to travel on short notice.
- Adhere to confidentiality and ethical conduct.
How to Apply
If you believe you are passionate and committed to human rights and have the experience and qualifications we are looking for, please send your application letter and CV, including your current salary, expected remuneration, three professional referees and day time telephone contacts to: [email protected] with the subject matter ASSISTANT PROGRAM OFFICER – ACCESS TO JUSTICE by 4pm, Friday, 10th April, 2017.