Position: Field Officer
Deadline to Apply: 11th March 2016
Start Date: As soon as possible
Eligibility: Position open to Kenyan Locals Only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action is a non-profit organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
In close partnership with decision makers — the policymakers, practitioners, investors, and donors working with the poor around the world — IPA designs and evaluates potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations, the most rigorous evaluation method available.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Position: The project will study toilet usage in the Mukuru slum in Nairobi.
Our goal is to design experiments aimed at instilling a clean toilet habit among Nairobi slum residents. Our partner organization, Sanergy, builds community toilets known as Fresh Life Toilets (FLTs) and franchises them to local entrepreneurs in the slum area.
The entrepreneurs charge pay-per-use fees to cover costs and generate profits. We will be testing strategies to break the old toilet habit (like using flying toilets) and replacing it with a new habit of using FLTs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administering surveys to individuals
- Meeting with guides (ligurus) to locate respondents
- Assist in daily electronic devices maintenance and storage
- Traveling to those areas in order to interview individuals
- Organizing data in the field
- Compilation of survey information
- Translation between Kiswahili and English
- Any other duty as maybe assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Kiswahili
- A college diploma or university degree preferably in the social sciences, development studies, business studies, or any applicable course
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Well organized, detail-oriented, able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision.
- Comfortable with working in a slum area
- Experience with position responsibilities listed above
- Computer literacy
- Previous experience in data collection and survey administration will be a plus
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications must be submitted ONLY by email to [email protected] , please ensure that the subject line reads: “FIELD OFFICER REF NO: CTH-2016-03-01”.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Field Officer. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.
Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to [email protected]