The International Potato Center, known by its Spanish acronym CIP, was founded in 1971 as a root and tuber research-for-development institution delivering sustainable solutions to the pressing world problems of hunger, poverty, and the degradation of natural resources. CIP is truly a global center, with
Senior Program Assistant
- Job TypeFull Time
- Location Nairobi
- Job Field Administration / Secretarial
The position: The Senior Program Assistant will be responsible for supporting the Project Manager by monitoring the budget and compiling progress financial reports for the donor. The Senior Program Assistant will help organize regional meetings, events and training workshops. He / She will backstop the efforts of the Program Assistants in Tanzania and Nigeria. This position reports to the Project Manager.
The key responsibilities include the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative and management support to the Project Management Team;
- Assist with project communications (appointments, reports, booking meeting rooms / venues and equipment, drafting of correspondence for the Project Manager);
- Coordinate travel arrangements and logistical support – including the handling of travel requests and liquidations, accommodation, and arranging for meals for the project events;
- Provide support to the Capacity Development and Communications Specialist in the planning and facilitation of training courses;
- Provide support to the Regional Advocacy Coordinator in planning for regional advocacy events, workshops and meetings;
- Compile presentations, mailing lists and distribution of project publications;
- Maintenance of office filing system (manual and electronic) including backup, archiving and storage;
- Assist in procurement and payment of bills;
- Handling maintenance of office assets and keeping an inventory of equipment and supplies;
- Backstopping the country Program Assistants for Tanzania and Nigeria to effectively execute similar duties;
- Assisting with the preparation of cash position and bank reconciliations and regular financial reporting;
- Any other duties given by the project leader
Data Management & Open Access Officer
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience3 years
- Location Nairobi
- Job Field ICT / Computer
The Position: The Data Management & Open Access Officer will provide technical guidance and support to researchers to implement Open Access, and Open Data in SSA. The position will also provide recommendations for facilitating the implementation and widespread adoption, which will require supporting significant organizational change efforts as well as improving systems and processes to make it as easy as possible for researchers to make their research openly-accessible according to the FAIR principles – i.e. findable, accessible, interoperable, and re-usable.
The emphasis of the position will be for Data Management for major CIP projects in the sub-Saharan African region. It is anticipated that capacity building and raising awareness will be key areas of focus for this position during the duration of the contract as CIP begins to embed Open Access and Open Data into the project lifecycle and other organizational processes such as M&E and individuals’ performance and evaluation.
This position will report to the Knowledge & Data Manager from Research Informatics Unit (RIU) and the Project Manager for the Sweetpotato Action for Security and Health in Africa (SASHA Project). This position will work closely with members of Communications and Publications (CPAD), the CIP Library, the CIP legal team and the Grants and Contracts units at CIP Headquarters and well as the SASHA Project Manager, the SASHA Senior Knowledge Management Specialist, the SASHA Communications officer, and other project managers and researchers in the region. In addition, this position will serve as a liaison to several CGIAR Knowledge Management, Open Access, and Open Data (KM/OA-OD) communities of practice and will work closely with other KM/OA-OD focal points on Cross-Center initiatives to support Open Access and Open Data.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Knowledge & Data Manager from Research Informatics Unit and CIP scientists to develop tools and support standardized protocols for data management (collection, curation, data quality, archiving & sharing);
- Support CIP projects to implement CIP’s Open Access and Open Data Plan following the CGIAR Open Access and Data Management Policy as well as CIP’s Open Data & Data Management Policy and Guidelines;
- Help bring about internal culture changes needed to foster a culture of knowledge and data sharing;
- Oversight and improvement of Data Open Access workflows and processes.
- Co-develop a comprehensive, practical and user-friendly suite of workflows and protocols that facilitate research data design, collection, cleaning, storage and sharing at CIP-SSA;
- Analyze data in order to identify and implement ways to improve potential usage and uptake of CIP research outputs;
- Designing and supervising creation of flexible and integrated data management systems for multi-disciplinary projects;
- Organize of training programs for CIP scientists and research support staff on data collection, curation, data quality, archiving & sharing;
- Monitoring the usage of curated CIP data sets by partners and others to their impact and to prioritize future efforts in data management;
- Work closely with a wide range of internal and external stakeholder groups to support Open Access/Open Data implementation in a participatory, inclusive, and consultative manner;
- Contribute to performance evaluations and identify succession planning and development of direct reports.
- Must be a Kenyan citizen;
- At least a Master’s Degree in Biology, Statistics, Computer Sciences, Information Science, Social Science, biometrics or informatics;
- At least 3 years of relevant experience working in the design and delivery of knowledge management, information management, or data management programs and services, including several years developing and executing strategic initiatives, preferably within a research organization or international NGO;
- Demonstrated background developing and implementing initiatives related to open access and/or open data preferred;
- Strong knowledge and experience with internal and external knowledge sharing and collaboration best practices, processes, and tools and systems;
- Broad understanding of data management issues including: data collection, data analysis, data integration, long-term data storage and preservation, data quality, and publicly disseminating data;
- Experience in quality assurance for research data;
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with data management and statistical analysis software;
- Experience with management and curation of biological and social science data;
- Experience with consulting, training and supporting users of informatics applications;
- Ability to work well as part of a multidisciplinary and decentralized team;
- Fluency in written and spoken English; excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills;
- Working knowledge of French and Portuguese preferred;
Conditions: The employment contract will be for a two-year term (with three months’ probation period) with the possibility of renewal, subject to performance and availability of funds. CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth.
Regional Grants and Contracts Manager
- Job TypeFull Time
- Location Nairobi
- Job Field Finance / Accounting / Audit
The primary objective of this position is to lead the management of SSA Regional Grants and Contracts portfolio; ensuring that projects comply with donor and CGIAR requirements, procedures and guidelines in the post award phases of the CIP project life cycle. The function will build the capacity of CIP field based staff on the subject of G&C compliance.
- Manage the SSA regional portfolio of awards (donor, prime, sub recipient), MOUs, and CGIAR Hosting Agreements as G&C’s contact point, acting as a representative of the G&C HQ unit, in coordination with the SSA Regional Director, Program leaders, Project Managers and regional staff.
- Review of all funding and partner award transactions, in collaboration with other functional areas such as program, finance, intellectual property, administration, and/or HR for their approval and signature.
- Responsible for the drafting, negotiating and approval-for-signature (as defined in the Delegation of authority) of partner sub-recipient agreements and technical collaboration MOUs.
- Ensures adherence to applicable delegation of authority policies, as they relate to signatory delegation of authority powers and thresholds.
- Convene with HQ stakeholders in regular meetings to ensure communication on contractual aspects of projects, identify issues requiring action and ensure follow-through on deliverables.
- Develop and maintain shared learning with HQ and SSA country constituencies regarding G&C.
- Maintains an up-to-date database and repository of all SSA regional signed awards, MOUs, and HA in OCS.
- Deliver training for regional or country office staff on a variety of G&C topics.
- Identify support needs of sub recipients in areas affecting G&C compliance and timely delivery; and contribute to providing training and check-ups;
- Participate in the development of institutional policies, guidance documents and procedures and in thinking creatively and critically on ways to streamline operating procedures.
- Support the HQ technical reporting function by ensuring timely follow up with SSA Principal Investigators on submission deadlines and response to donor queries.
- Participate in project life cycle reviews and meetings on behalf of the G&C SSA function (PNM meeting, startup meeting, closeout meeting).
How to Apply
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.
- Senior Program Assistant
- Data Management & Open Access Officer
- Regional Grants and Contracts Manager
Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website (http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a letter of motivation, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on 11 April, 2017 and will continue until the post is filled. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. CIP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). CIP also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.