International Potato Center Ref: 2016/002/NRS/SSA
Field Coordinator – MarketsBackground: The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a field coordinator for a UKAid-funded project that aims to scale up production and consumption of Orange Fleshed Sweetpotato (OFSP) through an Agriculture-Nutrition-Market approach.
The field coordinator will lead activities aimed at enhancing fresh root marketing of OFSP within formal and informal marketing channels.
He/she will work closely with the market segment value chain actors to enhance integration of OFSP in commonly eaten cuisines in Kenya.
This position will be based in Kisumu.
- Map out stakeholders within the formal and informal marketing channels of sweetpotato both at rural and urban markets;
- Engage with informal root traders to integrate OFSP in their grocery line of products in order to enhance visibility of OFSP in rural and urban open air markets;
- Lead in development and standardization of OFSP based foods from various cuisines e.g. African, Indian, English, etc.
- Liaise with food outlets such as restaurants, supermarkets, hotels among others to negotiate promotional events where diversified recipes based on OFSP are demonstrated with an aim of incorporating the same in their menus;
- Leverage on other initiatives along Agriculture-Nutrition-Market approach to introduce OFSP fresh roots in formal markets e.g. Supermarkets in both rural and urban markets;
- Work closely with social and behavior change research associate in developing innovative platforms to change consumer sensory perceptions of OFSP;
- Identify programs in the main media channels e.g. Radio and TV where cookery demonstrations of innovative recipes of OFSP can be widely disseminated to interest rural and urban consumers;
- Hold periodic trainings for hoteliers and other end users willing to take up OFSP cuisines;
- Document and widely disseminate key achievements including in peer reviewed journals;
- A university degree in Food production, Food technology, Home economics or a related discipline;
- At least 2 years in developing and promoting new cuisines especially in busy hotel/restaurants;
- Should be creative in integrating OFSP in varied cuisines;
- Experience in adult training approaches is an added advantage;
- Experience in marketing of fresh produce within the Kenyan informal market is highly desirable;
- Ability to develop and maintain close working relationship with people of diverse backgrounds;
- Demonstrated ability to be creative, an initiator and a motivator;
- Demonstrated contribution to dissemination of project results in various pathways including scientific articles is highly desirable.
Terms of Appointment:
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based on an initial contract of 2 years with the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through CIP’s Job Opportunities website (http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a letter of motivation, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.
Screening of applications will begin on March 4th, 2016 and will continue until the post is filled.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org.
CIP is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply