Temporary Procurement Assistant Job at International Potato Center
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a highly talented Temporary Procurement Assistant for the CIP Sub Saharan Africa Regional Office in Nairobi. The Center is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor.
- The Temporary Procurement Assistant will report to the Senior Procurement Officer and will be based at the CIP-Nairobi office.
Procurement Assistant Job Duties and Accountabilities:
Specifically, the Procurement Assistant will:
- Assist the Senior Procurement Officer to consolidate requests for procurement of goods, works, technical and consulting services;
- Assisting the Senior Procurement Officer in reviewing the submitted procurement packages (documents) from the region, requesting approvals for conclusions of contracts with selected vendors /suppliers and preparing draft approvals for conclusion of contracts;
- Ensuring that procurement of goods, civil works and services under Loan and Grant Agreements are implemented in accordance with the provisions of the Loan and Grant Agreements and CIP Operation Manual;
- Assisting the Senior Procurement Officer in keeping an effective system for monitoring of procurement process and contract implementation on behalf of CIP (recording the dates of all important approvals, contract awards, amounts etc.), as well as an adequate system record keeping system to ensure quick finding of procurement information;
- Assisting the Senior Procurement Officer in preparing: procurement documents (e.g., invitations to bid, standard bidding documents, bid clarification, RFQs and eventual amendments, bid evaluation reports, etc.); obtain timely relevant approval for procurement documents;
- Assist the Senior Procurement Officer in forwarding of copies of signed contracts to the relevant recipients to facilitate execution;
- Assist the Senior Procurement Officer in tracking progress of procurement activities against the plans set forth in the procurement plans by the projects;
- Maintain regular communication with Senior Procurement Officer to ensure that procurement tracking information is well coordinated with other project planning, project budgeting and other project financial reporting information;
- Assist staff in the region with any issues around procurement that may need clarification and/ or support for onward processing;
- Execute any other task required by the Senior Procurement Officer and/or as advised by and through the Regional HR Manager;
Selection Criteria for Procurement Assistant Job
- Relevant University degree;
- minimum 6 months of internship/ employment in the NGO or INGO sector;
- Membership with any procurement professional body (KISM, CIPS etc);
- Familiarity with procurement office operations;
- Strong e-mail communication skills, ability to write in a manner sensitive to cultural differences, and provide clarity to staff;
- Be a team player and be able to work in a busy environment, often with tight deadlines;
- English and Kiswahili language proficiency;
Conditions: This position is open to Kenyan citizens only. This will be a short-term (Temporary) contract for a period of five (5) months. The contract may be renewed subject to the workload and availability of funds.
How to Apply
Applicants should apply online through CIP’s Job Opportunities website here including a cover letter, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on July 28, 2016 and will continue until the post is filled. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.