The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 23 US cities. The Information Technology department supports the organization’s work by providing reliable and scalable application development and infrastructure for the IRC’s offices in the US and around the world, including many technologically challenging locations.
The primary responsibility of the Senior Field Infrastructure Engineer is to focus on the technologies and projects supporting field operations across the IRC’s global presence. Working closely with the Regional IT leads and in-country IT staff, this role will be responsible for implementing and upgrading network, server and endpoint solutions across the 40+ countries in which the IRC works. This role will also periodically inspect and audit field sites to ensure adherence to IRC infrastructure standards for quality and security. Frequent travel to field sites is an important aspect of this role, although remote work in partnership with IT staff located in the country program is the preferred model when applicable.
- Provide technical infrastructure leadership and guidance to IRC international field offices
- Work closely with HQ Infrastructure team on projects and operations impacting region, providing additional technical support as appropriate
- Advise Regional IT Deputy Director in all operational service management
- Provide support for IT infrastructure components of rollouts/initiatives
- Support region with infrastructure duties (internet, telecommunications, servers, networks)
- Support IT components of office openings, expansions, moves and closings
- Establish and enforce IT equipment, software and operating standards in field offices
- As needed, travel to and/or assist with all IT related matters, and project specific needs, in other country field offices throughout the region
- When appropriate, travel in assistance of emergency operations to provide IT support
Look for ways to reduce IT costs through consolidations of purchasing and procurement of IT services such as bandwidth in region
- Work closely with Regional IT Deputy Director and country program IT staff to develop regional IT strategy.
- Stay current on all relevant technologies
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: IT Global Infrastructure
Position directly supervises: N/A
Indirect Reporting: IPD Country Directors as applicable
Other internal and/or external contacts:
- Network Operations Team
- IT and HR Training Teams
- Service Desk Support Team
- Software Development Team
- Business Relationship Management Group
- Country program IT staff
- Country program management
- Formal Education & Certification
- College degree or equivalent work experience.
Knowledge & Experience
- 5+ years of work experience in an international NGO strongly preferred
- 7+ years of network and enterprise technology project management experience.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to interface with and lead technical teams.
- Deep knowledge and experience with networking and communications technologies; including but not limited to: server operating systems, network architecture, IP based networks (voice and data), satellite communications, desktop solutions, email systems, etc.
- Preferred technology experience: Windows 7 & 10, Windows Server 2008 and higher, Active Directory, Office 365, Cisco networking, Cyberoam firewall devices, VMware vSphere 5.5 and higher, VSAT internet connectivity.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong planning and organization skills
- Works well within a team environment and individually
- Works with a sense of urgency without sacrificing quality or accuracy
- Excellent business and employee customer service skills
- Remains calm under pressure
How to Apply