Organization: UN Institute for Training and Research
Closing date: 15 Apr 2016
Area of Specialization/Thematic Areas
Geospatial information management, communication, education
UNOSAT is the operational satellite applications programme of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR). It is a technology-intensive programme active since 2000 in applied research and innovative applications relating to geospatial information technology and satellite analysis, and mapping. UNOSAT also delivers to its beneficiaries tailor made training courses on the use of geo-information technology for, among other topics, disaster risk reduction.
UNOSAT and the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) have started a capacity development project in the Horn of Africa, to strengthen technological capacities and information access for improved DRR.
The intern/trainee will work for a period of 6 months with the UNOSAT team in Nairobi to support the implementation of the final phase of this project, by contributing to geospatial data management, content development, external communication and other project-related tasks.
Responsibilities/Description of Professional Services
The intern/trainee will support the programme in:
- Supporting the technical team in satellite data collection, data processing and creation of maps as and when required;
- Supporting in redesigning and populating existing online geoportal;
- Contributing to the development of training material for online course on GIS for decision makers;
- Supporting the team in communication, results monitoring and reporting activities related to the project;
- Supporting other activities of the programme and of the liaison office in Nairobi as and when required.
By the end of the internship/traineeship, the incumbent will:
- Gain practical experience in the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and satellite imagery for capacity development and disaster risk reduction;
- Gain practical experience in implementing training activities within a capacity development project with regional partners;
- Increase knowledge on the ability to turn map analysis information into valuable information and services for non-technical users;
- Gain familiarity with East Africa context in relation to DRR and disaster management;
- Apply time and management skills in order to respect tight deadlines.
- Professionalism: Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing: Based on the supervision received, identifies priority activities and assignments with minimal supervision; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; uses time efficiently.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; very good inter-personal skills and a demonstrated capacity to deal with colleagues and counterparts from different backgrounds, and proven ability to function in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnical environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of technology development; understand satellite imagery/data commercial distribution and licensing systems; shows willingness to learn new technology applications.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed; strong interpersonal and communication skills including facilitation skills in training related activities.
Successful applicants will have an interest in international affairs, in particular humanitarian, climate, environmental, or development issues. Skills and coursework with GIS software, in particular ArcGIS is required. Ability to code and undertake web development or server administration tasks is highly desired. Successful applicants will also have skills in project management and external communication. A high level of individual responsibility, commitment and initiative will be desirable.
Education: Master’s degree in Geography, Engineering, Science or related fields. Candidates with Bachelor’s degree and some relevant experience will be considered.
Languages: Fluency in spoken and written English.
Duration of contract: 6 months
Remarks: Please note that this is a non-remunerated positon. General conditions of contracts for the service of internship/traineeship apply.
How to Apply
A letter of motivation as well as the P11 form/ Curriculum Vitae are to be sent at [email protected] with the following subject line: “GIS Internship / Traineeship opportunity: Nairobi”.