African Virtual University (AVU)
Vacancy Notice: Instructional Multimedia / Web Interns – (ET&LR) Unit
AVU: The African Virtual University (AVU) www.avu.org is a Pan African Intergovernmental Organization established by charter with the mandate of significantly increasing access to quality higher education and training through the innovative use of information communication technologies.
A Charter, establishing the AVU as an Intergovernmental Organization, has been signed so far by nineteen (19) African Governments – Kenya, Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Cote d’Ivoire, Tanzania, Mozambique, Democratic Republic of Congo, Benin, Ghana, Republic of Guinea, Burkina Faso, Niger, South Sudan, Sudan, The Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Ethiopia and Cape Verde.
The AVU has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and a Regional office in Dakar Senegal with Host-Country Agreements and Diplomatic Status with the two governments.
The AVU Business Plan 2014-2019 has two main thrusts: (a) The educational and support services; and (b) development services.
The most important aspect of the plan is the escalation of the educational and support services which focuses on escalating academic programs through the new AVU project also known as full-fledged University project.
The AVU plans to focus on increasing access to quality education and throughout the African continent in collaboration with state members and partner institutions.
AVU is currently engaged in a Multinational Project II, funded by the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented in 21 African countries with 27 participating institutions.
Background to ET&LR: The Educational Technology & Learning Resources (ET&LR) unit at AVU coordinates the various Open Distance and eLearning activities of the Multinational Project Phase II.
The ET&LR unit is currently looking for two Instructional Multimedia / Web Interns to assist in the upload of multimedia learning resources to learning management systems.
These positions are also intended to help African youth gain practical experience to help transition to the workplace.
2.0. Scope of Work
The ET&LR Instructional Multimedia/Web Interns will help AVU staff perform the following functions:
- Uploading multimedia learning content on Learning Management Systems (LMS) in English, French and Portuguese;
- Preparing the various online assessment tools in the LMS for course delivery an facilitation;
- Ensuring that the appropriate content layout is followed;
- Testing uploaded content for navigability, layout, hyperlinking and readiness for delivery;
- Converting files to various formats to ensure availability of print, digital and multimedia formats;
- Ensuring appropriate copyright and Creative Commons license is applied to materials;
- Liaising with Instructional Design and Information and Communication staff members to ensure timely and rigorous upload of content to the LMS;
- Performing other duties that may from time to time be assigned by the supervisor.
- Studies in ICT, Computer Science or related (preference will be given to candidates with completed or almost completed Bachelor degrees);
- Fluent in English (knowledge of French or Portuguese as an added advantage);
- Familiarity with online learning;
- Knowledge in programming languages such as PHP, HTML 5 and Java;
- Knowledge in Web Server Technologies such as apache and MYSQL database will be an added advantage.
- Keen on and pays attention to detail; Ability to learn quickly and work well within a team;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to determine priorities and meet multiple deadlines;
- Flexibility and a can-do approach to tasks and the ability to adapt to a changing and challenging environment.
4.0. Modalities of Work: The ET&LR Media Interns are expected to work during office hours from Monday to Friday 09:00 am to 05:30pm.
5.0 Duration: The positions for the two ET&LR Interns are for period of three months with possibility of extension.
6.0 Reporting: The ET&LR Interns will report to and be supervised by the Manager of ET&LR and will work closely with other AVU staff members.
How to Apply
The successful candidates will be appointed for 3 MONTHS with possibility of extension
Application must include an application letter and detailed curriculum vitae with: a telephone number; email; and names with contact addresses of three professional references.
Applications should be sent to [email protected]
and must have INSTRUCTIONAL MULTIMEDIA / WEB INTERNS as the email subject
The successful candidate will be based at the AVU CVEI Offices on Lenana Road in Nairobi, Kenya.
The closing date for this application is July 4th 2016 at 18:00 East African Time (UTC/GMT + 3).
The African Virtual University (AVU) www.avu.org is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted