Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Resource Management Officer (RMO) of IOM Somalia and under the direct supervision of the Senior Finance Assistant; IOM Somalia, the incumbent will perform routine and specialized finance & accounting tasks. The responsibilities will include:-
Responsibilities for the Finance Internships in Kenya
- Assist in preparation of the monthly and yearly accounts closure package for dispatch to HQ’s after review by the Sr. Finance Assistant
- Participate in performing bank reconciliations on a monthly basis and month-end closure processes.
- Assist in maintaining a filing system and to ensure proper custody and tracking of finance documents i.e. vouchers, bank correspondence etc.
- Assist with the monitoring of vendor accounts including follow up with airlines for relevant documents for clearance of debtors.
- Assist in registering Travel Authorizations (TAs) and maintain an up to date TA register.
- Maintain a register of all receipt and cheque books for the Nairobi support office.
- Assist in the preparation of cheques for remote authorisation by the organization’s bank signatories
- Assist in posting of journal entries to the organization’s accounting system.
- Assist in performing audit preparation and provide necessary support to the audit team
- Assist the department in receiving and registering payments and ensure purchase orders, delivery notes and invoices are matched
- Assist in timely billing of private use of official resources
- Ensure received vendor bank details are confirmed with suppliers before electronic funds transfers are made
- Ensure the department’s stock is adequate and replenishments done on time
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications for the Finance Internships in Kenya
- Diploma in Accounting and Finance and/or Business Administration
- Qualified CPA Part II (Having completed sections 1 to 4)Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, Good knowledge of information technology and proficiency in
- Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Prior work experience in a busy finance department with an ERP would be an advantage.
- Must be well organized and meticulous
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No) and Vacancy Name with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: [email protected]