International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Position title: Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Assistant
Vacancy No: SVN/IOMSO/023/2015
Position grade: G5/1 of the UN Salary Scale in Kenya
Duty station: Nairobi, Coordination Office
Type of contract: 6 months Special Short Term contract with a possibility of extension.
Seniority band: Band V
Job family: Project Support
Organizational unit: Project Development and Monitoring
Subject to rotation: No
Reporting directly to: Project Development Officer
Overall supervision by: Chief of Mission
Managerial responsibility: Yes – Potentially upon hiring intern(s)
Directly reporting staff: 0
II. Organizational Context and Scope: Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, IOM Somalia, and direct supervision of the Project Development Officer, the M&E Assistant will provide technical support and facilitation to the mission.
This includes designing result matrices, work plans, and M&E tools, and conducting monitoring and evaluation of projects/programmes that are and will be implemented in Somalia and assist the mission in reaching its goals.
The position will be based in Nairobi.
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Assist and, where applicable, take the lead in the design/adaptation of M&E tools and plans for IOM Somalia including baselines and end-lines tools;
- Assist in designing projects and programmes, in particular in terms of M&E;
- Assist/take the lead in developing SMART indicators for projects and proposals;
- Assist in drafting work plans, logical frameworks, results matrices and other project related documents in close coordination with the Project Development Officer and Project Managers;
- Assist/take the lead in organizing project inception meetings, quarterly project review meetings and project closing meetings, and informing project related problems and delays to the Chief of Mission;
- Assist in monitoring financial expenditures and procurement for projects/programmes and raise any issues to relevant colleagues;
- Assist/take the lead in conducting internal evaluations of projects and disseminating lessons learnt;
- Conduct monitoring visits to verify project progress and results in liaison with other IOM Somalia staff;
- Assist in providing technical and backstopping support for M&E to Project Managers and other colleagues;
- Assist in liaising and networking with IOM relevant partners (e.g. UN, NGOs, IGOs, private and public sector etc.), in particular with regards to M&E;
- Assist in information collection and research for UN coordination activities and appeals, such as the Consolidated Appeal Process (CAP)/Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP), the clusters, the Common Humanitarian Fund (CHF), the Joint Planning Unit, etc.;
- Assist in collecting information and providing inputs to project interim and final reports as assigned by the Project Development Officer;
- Develop and regularly update and maintain a monitoring database and assist with updating other databases in cooperation with the Project Development Officer and other IOM staff;
- Provide structured training sessions and on the job training and mentoring to project staff in the field offices in order to enable them monitor and evaluate projects at field level in compliance with the mission M&E framework and donor requirements.
- Represent IOM in relevant meetings with other development partners, UN agencies as well as national and international workshops, seminars and conferences as requested;
- Undertake duty travel as needed;
- Undertake any other duties as may be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly;
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Displays mastery of subject matter;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Creates and promotes a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation;
- Maintains excellent communication and writing skills;
- Pays meticulous attention to detail;
- Personal commitment and drive for results, and adaptability in the workplace;
- Handles sensitive situations diplomatically and cultivates productive relationships;
- Demonstrates ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities;
- Abides by the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA);
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
V. Education and Experience
- Completed Bachelor’s Degree in Social Science, Social Statistics or an equivalent field of study.
- Minimum of five years of professional experience working in M&E in the field of migration and/or development.
- Minimum of three years specific experience in East or the Horn of Africa working for an international or non-governmental organization.
- Strong skills in developing and adapting tools and plans for monitoring, baselines and end-lines as well as in conducting evaluations.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the migration context and current development planning in Somalia.
- Familiarity with UN processes including the CHF, CAP/HRP and the cluster system.
- Very good computer and IT skills, including MS Office suite. Knowledge of SPSS and GIS will be an advantage.
Required: Fluent English
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: [email protected]
Closing Date: 25 September 2015
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.