Intern (Data Management) Job at International Organization for Migration (IOM), Kenya
Vacancy No. IOMKE/CFA/064/2016
Position title: Intern (Data Management) (Two positions)
Position grade: Internship (Remunerated)
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration of assignment: 6 months
Seniority band: N/A
Organizational Context and Scope
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Data Management Internship Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Under the overall supervision of the Regional Health Assessments Coordinator for Sub-Saharan Africa, and direct supervision of the Head, Migration Health Assessment Centre, the incumbent will be responsible for encoding, updating and maintaining the MHD (Migration Health Division) databases including production and generation of reports accurately and in a timely manner, receive and register Medical Examination forms and other documents from IOM missions, Migration Health Physicians into the database and other required files.
The incumbent’s responsibilities include:
- Accurately enter/encode the USRAP medical conditions and x-ray report from Panel Physicians in the database.
- Register and forward the Medical Examination forms and other documents to RSC (Resettlement Support Centre) or Migration Health Physicians.
- Vaccination report; to enter all vaccination data from the field ensuring subsequent updating of vaccination data.
TB (Tuberculosis) Treatment Module; to assist in data gathering, encoding of data and information, timely updating of the database as well as generating all required reports.
- Pre-departure/Pre-embarkation Medical Screening Data; to encode data and information and the timely updating of the PDMS (Pre Departure
- Medical Screening) database and generate regular and ad-hoc reports.
- Medical Escorting Data; to encode and extract data of cases in need of medical escorting, update the Medical Escort Database.
- Surveillance data; to enter data of surveillance performed on departing cases at transit centre.
- Printing of DS Medical Forms; to print DS forms for mobile missions for new approvals and re-medicals (either hard copies or on PDF format for transmission).
- Any other duties, which may be assigned from time to time.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Continuous learning
- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Actively shares relevant information
- Writes clearly and effectively, adjusting wording to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Performance Management
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities,
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Effectively applies knowledge of database and data processing in the execution of duties, and to learn and improve on this knowledge.
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work.
Education and Experience for Data Management Internship
- University Degree or Diploma in Information Systems Management and Database Applications.
- Advanced Certificates in Programming using VB, SQL, and Access.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and specialized database software.
- Prior work experience and knowledge in a data processing would be added advantage
- Ability to pay attention to details, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Be willing to learn and flexible with working hours.
- The incumbent will acquire technical knowledge in the area of Data Processing operations, and acquire understanding on policies and procedures associated with MHD Data processing operations from an international organization’s perspective and will gain in-site experience in working in an international multi-cultural environment, with an intergovernmental organization.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Kiswahili
How to Apply
- Submit cover letter and CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to:
- International Organization for Migration (IOM), Human Resources Department, and send via e-mail to [email protected]
- Closing Date: 30 June 2016.