Position Title : Data Management Officer
Duty Station : IOM Somalia in Nairobi*, Kenya
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 15 June 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
For The Purpose Of The Vacancy, The Following Candidates Are Considered As Tier Candidates
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.
- Internal candidates
- Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Suriname, El Salvador, Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
This position encompasses a) specific project functions (Displacement Tracking Monitoring), b) supporting other programme data management requirements of the mission, and c) supporting IOM Somalias Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Unit to develop a centralized system to improve programmatic oversight and reporting.
IOMs Displacement Tracking Mechanism is a scale programme designed to capture dynamic quantitative and qualitative data related to human displacement in Somalia. DTM is comprised of significant on the ground presence of teams employing various data capture modalities. Based in Nairobi Kenya, the Data Management Officer (DMO) position will oversee the project in terms of the development of systems of data capture, processing and analysis in order to provide a set of visual and analytical products to support the provision of short and long term assistance to displaced/returnees.
IOM Somalia has a growing portfolio of migration related projects with emerging needs for support in terms of data management and analysis. IOM currently implements projects in voluntary return/reintegration and durable solutions, border management, migration and development, humanitarian support and stabilization. As required, the DMO will provide technical support to IOM Somalia programmes in order to support the related objectives of programmes, as directed by the Chief of Mission (CoM).
In the context of increased move toward Result Based Management, a key function of the DMO
will be to work with the M&E Unit to assist the Programme Managers to Develop a wide data architecture and database and to develop the systems required to supply and maintain that architecture.
Under the direct supervision of CoM, and in close coordination with Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Team and Head, Preparedness and Response Division (PRD), as well as other relevant programme managers/coordinators, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing technical support to DTM, M&E and other support to the mission with regards to data management and production of visualized data.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Displacement Tracking Matrix
- Provide technical support to DTM implementation in Somalia, which includes the following responsibilities:
- Develop/adapt methodologies and standardized tools (e.g. survey database design, population movement tracking systems, etc.) according to the context in Somalia and the information needs of IOM, the government, and humanitarian partners in Somalia;
- Prepare materials for training for enumerators and field staff on projects activities;
- Coordinate and lead the data process, data management and data analysis processes;
- Lead the timely production and dissemination of all reports and information products on DTM, including, but not limited to, analytical and statistical reports, displacement profiles, maps and other relevant products to government counterparts, donors, and other humanitarian and development partners;
- Design and implement information dissemination tools and operational frameworks for data collection and sharing among the different stakeholders;
- Ensure timely and quality submission of donor reporting related to DTM projects; Provide information and assist with arrangements required for the recruitment of project staff; and
- Develop training modules and tools for government counterparts in order to strengthen their capacity for displacement data collection and improve their preparedness and response;
- Mobilize resource to scale up DTM through developing proposals and approaching new donors as well as support other programmes in the Mission to mobilize resource using the DTM data;
- Represent IOM at relevant meetings and liaise with counterparts, problem solving, as required;
update Head, PRD and DOE Coordinator regularly; and
- Undertake duty travel and perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Develop data architecture and database for the level M&E and ensure regular update of the relevant data;
- Provide technical support to the programme units in creating M&E tools and data collection;
- Provide technical support to the programme units in managing project and programme data and relevant information systems including project tracking, research, surveys, and assessments;
- Produce reports and run queries on the database as requested by the Programme Managers, donors or others;
- Develop reporting templates and refine existing mechanisms as required; and
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation missions organized by external partners and donors and facilitate access to M&E data to relevant stakeholders.
- Produce visual materials and infographics including maps, charts and diagrams based on project/programme data upon requests by the programme units;
- Contribute to IOM Somalias strategy related to data management and other relevant operations for improved data gathering and management in coordination with Project Support Unit;
- Regularly monitor, propose, and implement all necessary modifications in compliance of the information management systems and infrastructure as per IOM IT policies, standards and best practice for high performance, reliability and information security; and
- Design and organize regular on the job training to project staff use of appropriate data collection methods and DTM issues.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications And Experience
- Masters degree in Statistics, Communications, Information Management, Computer Science, Social Science Research or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Four years working experience in DTM, sector assessment coordination, data analysis and reporting, preferably in an international, non-profit environment;
- Two years’ experience in project coordination and management;
- Experience working in international organizations and the humanitarian community;
- Experience in graphical data presentation and assessment operations;
- Experience in working with authorities especially agencies responsible for disaster management and response;
Strong computer background, including experience with Microsoft applications, spreadsheets, and word processing;
- Experience in relevant issues such as migration, displacement, and humanitarian assistance would be an asset;
- Experience in Somalia and/or with Somali populations would be an asset.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Somali and Arabic is an advantage.
- With possible relocation to Mogadishu if and when the situation is conducive.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.