International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Vacancy Notice No: IOMKE/SVN/036/2015
Position title: Procurement Assistant
Position grade: G4
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
Seniority band: Band IV
Job family: Support
Organizational unit: Logistics, Procurement and Facilities
Position number: n/a
Position rated: Yes
Subject to rotation: No
Reporting directly to: Procurement and Logistics Officer
Overall supervision by: Resource Management Officer
Managerial responsibility: n/a
Directly reporting staff: n/a
II. Organizational Context and Scope
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Under the overall supervision of the Resources Management Officer and under the direct supervision of the Procurement and Logistics Officer, the incumbent will perform contracting activities in accordance to the organization’s procurement rules and regulations and will be responsible for the following:
Prepare contracts using the IOM contract forms for procuring services and goods for the organization.
Vet the contracts prepared with the legal department to obtain their endorsement and to ensure that all contracts are in adherence to IOM rules and procedures.
Ensure all administrative documentation for contracts is in place and obtain needed signatures on the documentation and contracts.
Manage the filing for all mission contracts and ensure to maintain accurate and active contracts database.
Inform the Procurement Officer on the expiring contracts and due payments in a timely manner and raise the same for the approval of the Procurement Officer.
File all agreements with other UN agencies and Donors and keep proper tracking system for the same.
Assist in the contract process throughout the procurement cycle including needs definition, market research, tender issuance and vendor performance evaluation in accordance to IOM procurement rules.
Maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders involved in management of contracts.
Update the procurement data bases PRF’s, PO’s, Fuel, Maintenance and ensure all files are closed and properly filed.
Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
Planning and organizing
- Effectively applies specialized knowledge of logistics and procurement to timely source goods and services
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Technical: Effectively applies specialized knowledge of logistics and procurement to timely source goods and services
V. Education and Experience
- A Secondary School Diploma from an accredited institution. A Diploma in Law or any other related and relevant field will be desirable.
- Minimum four years relevant experience in international, public procurement or contracts and supply management is required.
- Knowledge of legal aspects of contract management will be an added advantage.
- Maintains confidentiality, discretion and accuracy in appropriate areas of work
- Proven ability to coordinate work of others, within and outside IOM.
- Work experience in an international organization preferred.
- Ability to perform well under pressure and flexibility in handling unexpected work assignments as and when required.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office and internet applications
VI. Languages: Fluency in both written and spoken English and Kiswahili.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter and updated CV including daytime telephone and e-mail address to:
Human Resources Department,
International Organization for Migration (IOM),
P.O. Box 55040 – 00200,
or send via e-mail to [email protected]nt
Closing Date: 14th September, 2015
No Fee: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.