Senior Security Assistant Job at International Organization for Migration (IOM), Kenya
Vacancy No: IOMKE/SVN/058/2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
Senior Security Assistant Job Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinates all security related activities with the Head of Sub Office in Dadaab, as defined by the FSO.
- Develops a close working relationship with UNDSS and other UN Security Officers and offices, Government Security Services,
- International organizations and private security personnel, to ensure appropriate lines of communications are established for all aspects of staff safety and security in the Sub Office.
- Monitors and tracks all staff travels and advises staff regarding Security Clearances to ensure all staff is adhering with existing tracking and travel procedures.
- Ensures that security administration activities (Security Clearances, ISECT profiles, staff lists etc.) are properly completed and archived for future access as required. Ensures all missions from the sub office are MOSS compliant prior to departure.
- Supervises and trains IOM staff to guarantee staff is competent in all mandatory fields.
- Supervises and trains guards as directed by the FSO.
- Advises staff in residential security issues.
- Ensures all relevant security information is immediately disseminated in a timely manner to the relevant IOM field office and its staff, FSO and National Security Officer
- Assists in conducting security assessments/evaluations of offices, vehicles and projects activities and offers appropriate mitigation recommendations. Is fully conversant with and undertakes an active role in the development and implementation of evacuation/emergency security plans in coordination with the FSO.
- Provides updated security information to all IOM staff and a detailed security briefing to all new staff members entering the mission.
- Assures that all staff completes the mandatory security trainings (UNDSS Basic and Advanced Security in the Field online training CD).
- Is fully competent in and undertakes the coordination of travel security for the sub office staff.
- In co-ordination with the Head of Sub office and FSO undertakes medical evacuations when required.
- Investigates and reports security breaches/incidents within the area of responsibility, works closely with the Government police in efforts to ensure IOM staff, its assets and interests are protected while ensuring strict confidentiality.
- Assists the supervisors in establishing policies and procedures for reviewing crisis situations as directed by the FSO.
- Prepares draft security plans for specific areas within the missions area of operation including all aspects related to development, implementation and updating of the plans in close cooperation with the FSO.
- Supervises the contracted guards in the performance of services, including fire control, first aid procedures, use of equipment and operation of the automated alarm and video surveillance systems if installed. Where training in fire control and first aid is found to be deficient coordinates with the contractor to ensure such training is undertaken.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as may be requested by the National Security Officer or FSO..
Required Qualifications and Experience for Senior Security Assistant Job
- Bachelor’s degree in Social science, public administration, police/military courses in an accredited academic institution and a combination of relevant military/police training on procedures and practices
- High school degree/Certificate with four years’ experience
- High School Degree/Certificate with Seven Years’ Experience.
- A minimum of 6 years of progressively responsible senior technical experience in National or international Military, Police or other organization, Security management.
- A minimum of 2 years work experience in an international organizations or the United Nations.
- Experience in conducting security assessments and security briefings.
- Good political and social knowledge of the country.
- Proven experience in supervising staff and leading a team.
- Computer literacy with a high degree of proficiency in commonly used applications such as Word, Power point and Excel is required.
- The ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with others with diverse professional backgrounds is required.
- The ability to handle a heavy workload efficiently with minimal supervision and understanding the importance of close teamwork is highly regarded.
- In security/emergency services dedication to one’s duty is paramount and flexibility and commitment to these duties in an emergency will be expected and appreciated.
- Training in emergency and disaster response is an added advantage.
- The readiness to undergo all required security trainings.thinking, organized, accurate.
- Ability to work effectively with different levels within and outside the organization and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds
- Ability to draft correspondence and communicate effectively.
- Must have a Certificate of good conduct
- Fluency written and spoken English and Kiswahili is required. Somalia will be and added advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Client Orientation- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Continuous Learning- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Communication – Interfaces with the UNDSS, safety/security counterparts, relevant government agencies, and other stakeholders to prepare adequate responses to security management challenges
- Creativity and Initiative – Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – Convinces others to share resources
- Performance Management – Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Planning and Organizing – Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Professionalism – Applies knowledge of and supports the implementation of IOM and UNDSS safety / security policies / procedures in efforts to enhance staff security
- Teamwork – Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Technological Awareness – Learns about developments in available technology
- Resource Mobilization – Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs.
How to Apply
- Submit cover letter and CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to:
- International Organization for Migration (IOM), Human Resources Department,
- send via e-mail to [email protected]
- Closing Date: 12 June, 2016. Only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted.