Research Associate Job at Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA), Kenya
Mitigating Aflatoxin Consumption for Improving Child Growth (MAICE) Project
Position: Research Associate
Deadline to Apply: Reviewed on rolling basis
Start Date: June 2nd 2016 (non-negotiable)
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
In close partnership with decision makers – the policymakers, practitioners, investors, and donors working with the poor around the world – we design and evaluate potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations, the most rigorous evaluation method available.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the project:
- IPA seeks qualified applicants for the position of Research Associate – Implementation for the MAICE Project.
- The project is based in Meru and Tharaka-Nithi Counties, Kenya.
- This position will be mainly dedicated to the implementation and monitoring of the intervention, which consists of offering people the opportunity to have their stored maize tested, and have their contaminated maize swapped, as well as providing aflatoxin-safe maize through shops in the study villages.
- The RA will oversee the implementation and logistics of the intervention, working closely with the project implementing partner.
- Data on the intervention are collected regularly for monitoring and research purposes, and the RA will be responsible for the quality and regular analysis of these data.
- Moreover, the Research Associate may participate in endline data collection and dissemination activities, working closely with the Meru-based Field manager, responsible for these activities.
- The RA’s participation in endline data collection activities would be focused primarily on monitoring of data quality.
- The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research.
Research Associate Job Responsibilities:
- The Research Associate will work closely with the Field Manager in Meru, with the IPA-Kenya Country Office and the PIs (professional researchers and program manager) to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
sophisticated logistic planning,
- significant in-person oversight of implementing partner,
- managing the implementation field team,
- managing the back check of the intervention,
- monitoring implementation quality (coordination with the field manager in charge of data collection and dissemination to ensure quality and
- consistency of the different components of the project),
- checking and analyzing implementation data on a regular basis,
- financial accounting, HR, and various administrative tasks.
- The RA will also Support the field manager in terms of data quality checks and survey monitoring during data collection, and will take part in result dissemination activities in study villages.
Qualifications and Experience for Research Associate Job
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, a team player
- Assertive personality and demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Experience living in a developing country is a strong plus
- Previous knowledge of or desire to learn Swahili or Kimeru a plus
- Knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software is preferred
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred.
How to Apply
To Apply, click here