The Research Manager will manage a portfolio of three nationally representatives surveys in Tanzania, Uganda and Pakistan. These surveys are part of an effort to develop a high-quality panel survey to track the expansion of mobile financial services across these countries. The Manager works closely with the IPA country programs and partners to ensure the completion of the data collection and that the data collected is of the highest quality.
The Research Manager will work closely with the project’s principal investigator, Tavneet Suri, and will directly oversee all data collection and data analysis related to the project. This position will report to the Director of IPA’s Financial Inclusion Program and to the Country Directors of the IPA Offices where s/he will be located. The position will be based in Tanzania (6 months) and Uganda (12 months) and will travel across each country to oversee data collection efforts. The Manager is expected to complete all project activities in 18 months and may be asked to travel to Pakistan to oversee data collection for short periods of time.
The Research Manager is responsible for the overall management of the project. S/he oversees direct implementation of the surveys in Tanzania and Uganda, while also managing the relationship with our partner for data collection in Pakistan. The Research Manager is responsible for the successful implementation of the surveys in all three sites, ensuring that all activities are compliant with research protocols, quality standards and are managed within budget. The Research Manager will work closely with the Principal Investigator, IPA’s Financial Inclusion Program and Country Programs to:
• Manage the logistics of a large-scale data collection, including hiring and managing field staff, managing data collection partners and project timeline
• Ensure adherence to data quality protocols, including auditing enumerators, monitoring data collection, and conducting data quality audits
• Oversee project financial management, including monitoring of project budgets, and ensure that project deliverables, such as reports and financial statements, are submitted to donor on time
Serve as key link between the field staff, partners, IPA Country Programs, and Principal Investigator
• Master’s degree in related field, such as development economics, public policy, public health, or education policy
• A minimum of two years of relevant research management experience
• Strong budgeting and financial management skills
• Strong written and oral communication skills and complete fluency in English is required
• Experience supervising data collection, teams of field workers, survey design and implementation and data management. Background in randomized control trials is strongly preferred
• Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies required; developing country experience required
• Quantitative skills
• Knowledge of Stata and/or other programming languages
• An desire to commit to this position for at least 18 months
• Flexible and proactive work ethic with a demonstrated interest in the vision and mission of IPA
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• Advanced experience with data management and applied statistics
• Previous professional experience in East Africa
• Experience with electronic data collection platforms
• Demonstrated ability to work with donors and/or partner organizations; experience with grants management
• Experience with presenting research findings at public forums, including to non-research focused audiences, is preferred
Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application. Please select the position(s) you are interested in applying for on the ‘Submit Application’ page. Statement of purpose (cover letter), CV and reference. We will consider your application even if you are unable to obtain reference letters before the deadline, but please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class.
IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at [email protected] or via phone at 1-203-772-2216.
IPA will never require monetary compensation as part of its application process. Any requests for monetary compensation by persons claiming to be IPA employees or persons claiming to represent IPA should be disregarded and reported to IPA.