IPA Kenya seeks qualified applicants for the position of Research Associate for the Tax Compliance Project that focuses on tax policies for small-medium firms and individuals. This project arises from a collaboration between IPA, researchers from University of Zurich and Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA), one of the most innovative and respected tax authority in Sub-Saharan Africa. The research study aims at designing and implementing a randomized control trial and shall examine the role of financial incentives and novel technologies in fostering tax compliance
The Research Associate will be based in Nairobi, Kenya while field visits will be in Nairobi and other select regions. The Research Associate will take a lead role in collecting data in the field, managing a field team, managing large databases, piloting survey instruments and the interventions. The Research Associate will work independently and maintain regular communication with the PI. The position requires excellent interpersonal and organization skills. It also requires proficiency with Stata. Familiarity with other data management and statistical packages is a plus. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The main principal investigator is Lorenzo Cassaburi, an Assistant Professor at University of Zurich.
The Research Associate will work closely with IPA-Kenya Country Office and the Principal Investigators to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Sophisticated logistics planning, significant in-person oversight of implementing partner managing the intervention implementation.
- Manage multiple project data collection activities, including a baseline and follow up surveys of firms and individuals;
- Monitoring implementation quality;
- Checking and analyzing data, cleaning data and assisting in the analysis;
- Ensure all aspects of data quality;
- Design forms for electronic data collection (using SurveyCTO) and manage survey data;
- Work closely with current Research Manager, Principal Investigators and local partners to ensure study protocols are followed;
- Manage project budget, including tracking project expenses and adherence to the project budget;
- Assist with proposal writing, writing policy briefs & memos and donor reporting;
- Manage relationship with project partners;
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English and Swahili
- Kenyan Nationals strongly encouraged to apply
- Working knowledge of Stata
- Experience Managing large datasets
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, a team player
- Assertive personality and demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Demonstrated ability to manage field teams and survey operations at different levels (programming and data flow, financial budgeting and reporting, human resources and team building)
- Master’s degree in economics, statistics, public policy or social sciences.
- Experience managing RCTs preferred.
- Familiarity with other data analysis software.