Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
WASH Benefits Project
Position: Senior Field Officer – Laboratory (Re advertised)
Deadline to Apply: 11th September, 2015
Start Date: September, 2015
Location: Bungoma and Kakamega in Western Kenya
Eligibility: This position is open to all applicants
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) seeks qualified applicant for the position of a Senior Field officer for the Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) Benefits Project.
The Project is a five year study to evaluate the health benefits of sanitation, hygiene, household water treatment and nutrition, using a large-scale, randomized evaluation that is taking place in Western province.
We are currently seeking Senior Field Officer to complete key lab related activities of the WASH benefits project.
The Senior Field Officer will be based in the Western region, and will be required to work in the laboratory.
He/she will work closely with fellow Senior Field Officers and with the WASH Benefits laboratory team, including Associate Field Managers, Research Associates (RA’s), and the Senior Research Associate.
The Field officer will spend approximately 100% of his/her time in the Laboratory.
Tasks, Duties, and Responsibilities:
Laboratory Specific Duties
- Successfully perform Kato Katz testing to detect soil transmitted helminths on all stool samples received
- Aliquoting stool samples for long term storage.
- Barcoding stool and blood spot samples; logging samples received at the lab.
- Assist with set-up of / maintenance of lab space and respect the shared lab space
- Observe sterile technique when performing analyses
- Keep track of supplies and prompting the supervisors on those that need to be replenished
- Complete daily logs of samples processed and results from assays
- Regularly assist with preparations of supplies for field teams (e.g. packing and cleaning field coolers)
- Clean apparatus used during sample analysis
- Ensure proper storage and handling of laboratory equipment
- Clearly communicate issues to the Associate field manager, Lab Research Associate and Senior Research Associate
- Any other duties assigned by the Associate field manager
- Work schedule will include working from Tuesdays to Saturday from 11am-8pm.
- Working later hours (after 8pm) may be required based on field sample collection schedules.
- Prompt arrival to work.
- Completion of scheduled activities each day in a timely manner.
- Maintaining high standard of professional integrity in all activities.
- Observe quality control and quality assurance measures during sample processing.
- Successfully complete all tasks assigned by the WASH Benefits management team.
- Knowledge of assigned tasks and delivery according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Team player – interacts well with colleagues and offers support in the field and in the office
- Maintain professional relationships with IPA and hospital staff
- Responsible – takes up responsibilities, shows initiative in solving issues and reports challenges to supervisor.
- Previous experience analyzing stool samples for soil transmitted helminths using the Kato Katz technique required
- At least 2 years’ experience working in a lab setting
- Bachelor’s degree or a diploma in a laboratory specific training (biomedical science, applied biology, laboratory technology)
- Certified by the Kenya Medical Laboratory Technicians and Technologists Board (KMLTTB) as a qualified laboratory technician
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft word
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Kiswahili.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying, please follow the instructions below:
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV including daytime phone number, email address, and 3 professional references.
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Note: The position has been re-advertised and we would advise all applicants who had applied during the initial advertising not to re-apply.
Applications must be submitted by email to [email protected], please ensure that the subject line reads: “Senior Field Officer -Laboratory Kato Katz” REF NO: WASH B-2015-09-01.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Senior Field Officer_ Lab Techs Kato Katz. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to [email protected]