The Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) is a state Authority created under an Act of Parliament No.35 of 2011, which provides for civilian oversight over the work of the police.
IPOA is mandated to hold the police accountable to the public in the performance of their functions.
To enable the Authority achieve its mandate and vision for “a robust civilian accountability mechanism that promotes public trust and confidence in the National Police Service”, the Authority wishes to recruit a results oriented Kenyans citizen with drive, vision and creativity to fill the position below:
Head of Communication and Outreach
IPOA Grade 3
The Head of Communications and outreach will be report to the Chief Executive Officer / Secretary and will supervise Communications and outreach officers.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Main duties and responsibilities will entail:-
- Developing and implementing departmental plans in line with the Authority’s objectives;
- Serving as the contact on relevant advisory and networking matters with internal and external audiences;
- Ensuring an institutional relationship with the National Police Service that enhances police reforms;
- Ensuring production of Information Education & Communication materials and other Authority’s publications with effective messages, translated into various languages and distributed throughout Kenya;
- Formulating departmental budget proposals and work plans;
- Providing technical expertise to senior management on communication strategies and participating in training of staff on effective communication;
- Coordinating protocol and reception of all the Authority’s visitors;
- Producing and coordinating drafting of speeches;
- Authoring, coordinating and supervising production of articles, and other information material for various media;
- Managing media relations as a means of highlighting the Authority’s mandate and building internal capacity to work with media effectively;
- Producing, printing and distributing in-house journals, newsletters, and other related publications;
- Monitoring and evaluating attitudes of various publics to the organisation and providing appropriate advise;
- Identifying, organising and coordinating outreach activities for IPOA throughout the country, targeting specific publics which may involve working with different stakeholders;
- Overseeing the Authority’s branding, design principles, and guidelines for all materials and products ensuring their consistent application;
- Supervising, appraising and developing staff in the department and ;
- Maintaining information data and photo library.
Profile: Must be a citizen of Kenya.
For appointment to this grade, an officer must have:-
- Served for a minimum of three (3) years in the grade of Principal Communication & Outreach Officer or twelve (12) years in the Public/Private Sector three (3) of which must have been at a senior management position;
- Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following disciplines:- Public Relations /Communications, Mass Communication, Journalism or equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Master’s Degree in any of the following disciplines:-Public Relations/Communications, Mass Communication, Journalism or equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Diploma in Public relations
- Member of a relevant professional body;
- Certificate in computer application skills; and
- Demonstrated capability in the management of public communication as reflected in work performance and results.
Required Functional Skills
- The incumbent will have strong leadership qualities coupled with excellent communication skills and track record of successful traditional communication, outreach, branding, web management, and experience in social media management;
- Advanced writing and editing skills especially for reports and documents for public dissemination and for the website;
- Experience and demonstrated ability working effectively with a diverse workforce and stakeholders;
- Strong analytical communication skills and;
- Cross-cultural communication & cooperation, negotiation & conflict resolution acumen.
- Required Behavioural Skills
- Must be a person of high integrity and strong interpersonal skills;
- Proactive, results driven, with a high performance and teamwork orientation and;
- Work accurately with close attention to detail and within tight deadlines.
How to Apply
Interested persons who meet the above criteria are invited to send their applications by completing ONE job application form (CLICK HERE to download).
Any other application formats will lead to automatic disqualification.
Applications in a sealed envelope with the job reference number clearly marked should be received by the undersigned on or before Friday 11th September 2015.
The Chief Executive Officer Independent Policing Oversight Authority P.O Box 23035-00100 Nairobi.
email: [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be conducted.
IPOA is an equal opportunity employer and shall not in its recruitment discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, ethnic origin, political affiliation, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, disability, health or social status.