Job Purpose/Objective :
The ophthalmic Clinical Officer/Cataract surgeon has the overall responsibility to ensure that all eye health activities are implemented as outlined in the project documents.
Review the eye program activities and priorities on a regular basis updating the senior ophthalmic clinical officer on gaps and/or provide recommendations on how to improve quality of services as well as the planning, implementation and management of the IRC Eye program in the entire Dadaab camp.
Key Responsibilities :
In coordination with the senior Ophthalmic clinical officer, formulate program goals, objectives and intervention strategies and participate in the budgeting process
Ensure that all eye health activities are implemented as outlined in the project documents
Review the program activities and priorities on a regular basis updating the senior clinical officer ophthalmologist and eye care service delivery to the patients in Dadaab camp.
Human Resource Management:
Monitoring, guidance and supervision to all eye staff to ensure quality work outcome
Provide technical and administration work guidelines that are within the IRC policy
Management of staff leave plans within the program to ensure continuous program coverage
- Provide consultations at the eye clinic 6 days a week
- Diagnose, manage and conduct cataract surgeries as required.
- Increase community health workers’ awareness on eye conditions and eye care by conducting primary Eye care trainings
- Perform minor eye surgeries ,trachoma surgeries and refer complicated cases appropriately
- Take part in planning and participating in surgical eye camps.
- Ensure that all assessments and treatment provided are properly documented in patient files
- Admit to the wards and provide quality management for eye in-patients
- Maintain equipment in a good condition and submit regular inventory reports of the same
- Attend and participate in weekly Continuous Medical Education (CME) sessions at the hospital.
- Attend and participate in the daily morning hospital handover meetings
- Keep a complete and accurate inventory of medicines, equipments and other supplies in the program.
Reporting and Coordination:
- Assist the Senior Ophthalmic Clinical Officer in preparation and submission of the weekly and monthly activity reports to the HIS office and the DOS/MOH.
- Compile and submit quarterly returns/requisition of all drugs and supplies to the Senior ophthalmic officer and Health manager
- Assist the Senior Ophthalmic officer in preparation and submission of the monthly donor reports of the eye program.
- Liaise and partner with eye healthcare providers within the larger Dadaab complex
Carry out other relevant duties as may be required or assigned by your supervisor.
Key Result Areas :
- Quality eye care services offered to patients
- Provision of corrective glasses to those with refractive errors
- Timely surgical management/ referrals of eye injuries
- Timely reporting of project activities
- Conducting Eye Care Trainings and Screening exercises as required
- Higher Diploma in Clinical Medicine- Ophthalmology/ Cataract surgery.
- Registered with the Clinical Officers Council
- Minimum of 3 years work experience as a Ophthalmic Clinical Officer at a supervisory level
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Ability to write clear, concise reports and well developed communication skills
- Good computer skills (Complete MS Office package and any database management and analysis)
- Must be a team player, flexible and culturally sensitive
- Ready to work in difficult environmental conditions
- Ability to accept the possibility of insecurity in the project areas and obey security rules and standard operating procedures
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email:*[email protected]* or report to the nearest police.
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here