The mission of the Mwanza Intervention Trials Unit (MITU) is to contribute to improving health through the development and evaluation of interventions against HIV and other health problems by conducting research, including clinical trials, to the highest international standards; to enhance the capacity to carry out such research in Tanzania and the East African region; and to contribute to the translation of research findings into heath policy. We are implementing a new cluster randomised controlled trial to address intimate partner violence in some wards of Mwanza city.
We are currently seeking to employ 4 Male gender trainers for a new project; a cluster randomised controlled trial to address intimate partner violence in Mwanza region project.
Job Title: Gender trainer
Location: Mwanza city
Reporting to: MAISHA Gender Training Coordinator
Duration of Assignment: 1 year (renewable based on performance)
Expected Gross Salary: 880,000Tsh plus Benefits
Starting Date: As soon As possible
Job Description / Responsibilities:
• Facilitate gender training to the MAISHA project study participants.
• Contribute to the development/refinement of the gender training materials.
• Plan and oversee weekly schedules of the gender training.
• Monitor the quality of the gender training.
• Manage group dynamics (e.g., emotional reactions, disclosure of sensitive information, etc.)
• Coordinate logistics (e.g., gathering teaching materials, communicating with team, report as needed, etc.) associated with the effective implementation of gender training sessions
• Establish and maintain a safe and comfortable learning environment.
• Monitor time and make appropriate adjustments.
• Provide weekly updates of gender training activities.
• Contribute to the community mobilization for the trial
• Graduate degree/diploma in social sciences/ social work.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in Kiswahili and English.
• Demonstrable thoroughness and care for high quality work
• Good understanding of participatory training methods.
• Experience in facilitating interactive/participatory teaching methods
• Effective communication skills and team work.
• Familiarity with working in urban areas with focus on participatory processes.
• Willingness to undertake regular field visits to the study areas and interact with different stakeholders.
Knowledge and skills:
• Problem-solving ability.
• Manage group dynamics
• Results oriented and able to deliver on time.
• Ability to work flexibly and good time management.
Method of Application:
Please apply with a detailed CV including names and contact information of two referees. Enclose a supporting statement highlighting how your qualifications and experience meet the selection criteria for this post. The deadline for receiving the application documents will be 4th September, 2015. Please send your application to: [email protected] Or through the post address above indicating “GENDER TRAINING” on top of the envelope.