The Jomo Kenyatta Foundation (JKF) was established by the Government of Kenya in 1966 as a Company Limited by guarantee and having no share capital. We are a leading educational publisher and scholarship provider in Kenya.
In pursuit of our vision of realizing an enlightened and empowered society and our mission of developing customer-focused publications and scholarship provision, the Foundation is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the following vacant position:
Job Title: Company Secretary & Head of Legal Affairs
Job Ref: JKF/CSHL/2016/001
Job Group: 11
Reports to: Managing Director
Supervises: Deputy CS
- Ensuring effective management of legal risks through compliance with legal norms and corporate governance standards.
- Monitoring the operating environment and advising the Company on the necessary policy changes in line with changes in the law and regulatory environment.
- Advises and guides Management and Board of Directors to ensure that the Foundation’s actions and its existence remain within the law.
- Provides legal services to the Foundation on matters pertaining to debt collection.
- Conducting legal research and rendering advice to the Company.
- Prepares legal documentation and briefs for legal proceedings in court for use by external advocates assigned stated cases to handle/prosecute or defend.
- Liaises with Attorney-General’s office on Copyright issues for JKF Publications and legal implications of co-publishing.
- Analysis of insurance matters and advising Management on the same.
- Ensure timely filling of statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Formulation of Company policies and other contractual documents.
- Advising management and assists in negotiations of Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA)
- Handles litigation and conveyance issues.
- Administration of Company’s Provident Fund Scheme.
- Serves as Secretary to the Board of Directors.
- To perform any other relevant duty assigned by the Managing Director.
To be appointed in this position, one must have:
- Master of Laws (LLM)
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya
- Commissioner for Oaths and Notary Public
- Registered with the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries
- Computer proficiency
- At least 7 years as an advocate.
- Certification in Corporate Governance will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication, analytical and problem solving, negotiation, inter-personal relations, team building, effective time management, leadership and organizational skills.
How to Apply
The position is permanent and pensionable and a competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate.
Interested applicants should apply by emailing us a copy of a filled-in ‘JKF Job Application Form’ (available HERE) to: [email protected]
Please note that the application forms should not be accompanied by testimonials.
The closing date for receipt of the forms is 17th June, 2016.
Candidates who had earlier on applied need not reapply.
Persons living with HIV and AIDS, disabilities and women are encouraged to apply.
The Jomo Kenyatta Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
We are ISO 9001:2008 certified