Corporation Secretary Employment At KASNEB In KenyaÂ
KASNEB is a professional examinations body which operates under the Accountants Act, No.15 of 2008, the Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya Act, Cap.534 of 1988 and the Investment and
Financial Analysts Act, No.13 of 2015.
The mandate of KASNEB is to develop syllabuses, conduct Professional, Diploma and Technician examinations; certify candidates in accountancy, finance, credit, governance and management,
information communication technology and related disciplines; promote its qualifications globally and accredit relevant training institutions.
The vision of KASNEB is to be a world-class professional examinations body. Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the following senior positions:
Corporation Secretary/Head of Legal â€“ Job Level 3 (Ref:HCA/CSL/02-2016)
Corporation Secretary Job Purpose
- The Corporation Secretary/Head of Legal is the Head of the Legal and Compliance Unit and will be expected to provide advice to the Board and Management on governance, legal, regulatory and compliance matters and provide corporate secretarial services to the organisation.
Corporation Secretary Job Responsibilities
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Corporation Secretary/Head of Legal will be responsible for:
- Advising the Board on their duties and responsibilities and obligations, relevant laws and governance matters.
- Coordinating the governance audit and legal and compliance audit.
- Assisting in preparation of Board and Committee work plans and charters.
- Assisting in carrying out Board induction, training and evaluation.
- Coordinating the timely preparation and circulation of Board and Committee meeting papers and taking minutes thereof.
- Keeping safe custody of the seal and other relevant documents.
- Preparing legal advice and opinion, legal interpretation of various matters and handling legislation and litigation matters relating to KASNEB.
- Ensuring compliance with laws, rules and regulations by the Board and management.
- Preparing and coordinating the implementation of Intellectual Property Rights policy and guidelines for the products and services of KASNEB.
- Preparing, vetting and negotiating official legal documents including contracts and leases and participating in settlement and arbitration of disputes to protect the interests of KASNEB.
- Liaising with external lawyers handling legal matters on behalf of KASNEB and attending Court hearings.
- Ensuring risk management in the Unit.
- Preparing and implementing the Unitâ€™s operational plan, work plan and budget.
- Overseeing the implementation of ISO Quality Management System in the Unit.
- Providing leadership and effective supervision to staff in the Unit.
QualificationsÂ ForÂ Corporation Secretary Jobs
The ideal candidate shall possess the following:
- Masters degree in Law or other social science discipline from a recognised university.
- Bachelors degree in Law from a recognised university.
- CPS qualification and member in good standing of the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya (ICPSK).
- Diploma from the Council for Legal Education.
- A current practicing certificate as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- At least eight (8) years relevant experience in legal/corporate secretarial practice in a senior management position.
- Advanced computer skills.
Key personal attributes
The ideal candidate should:
- Possess a high degree of personal integrity, honesty and trustworthiness.
- Be a team player with the ability to provide leadership and motivate staff.
- Demonstrate sound judgement and ability to develop proposals and concept papers.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills, analytical, interpersonal, presentation and report writing skills.
- Be results oriented and willing to multitask and meet strict deadlines.
- Satisfy the provisions of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010.
Â Â Â How to Apply
Â Â Â
- Interested and qualified candidates should send their handwritten applications enclosing detailed curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates, testimonialsÂ and names and addresses of three referees and indicating their current and expected salary so as to reach the undersigned not later than Thursday, 19 May 2016.
- TheÂ envelope should be marked â€œCONFIDENTIALâ€ and indicate the REFERENCE NUMBER of the position applied for and be addressed to:
- Chief Executive Officer KASNEB P.O. Box 41362 â€“ 00100 NAIROBI
- Kindly note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.