Reference Number: ARO071015
Category: Research, Science and Biotechnology
JOB PURPOSE: To provide laboratory support and data management for immunological studies aimed at understanding the targets of and mechanisms underlying naturally acquired immunity to malaria. The main activities will include: 1) Support the expression of Plasmodium falciparum merozoite proteins in E. coli and HEK 293 mammalian cells 2) Support the development and performance of immunological assays aimed at understanding mechanisms of parasite clearance 3) Support the organization and implementation of malaria challenge studies 4)Routine laboratory work including, culture of Plasmodium falciparum parasites, routine ELISA, flow cytometry and basic molecular assays such as PCR 5) Contribute to routine laboratory maintenance
Staff operating at this grade range deal with non-standard work situations more regularly than staff at lower grades and take decisions often relating to the interpretation of standard operating procedures. They contribute to a research team; manage some projects and co-ordinate activities.
They are required to provide guidance to team members at lower grades, and also be involved in supervising the work of others. They carry out detailed extraction of data and present data or information for analysis by others.
Staff have responsibility for prioritising their own work and ensuring the necessary equipment/materials are available.
To support and execute technical aspects of research in the lab under the guidance of the PI involving routine molecular biology and immunological assays, including:
• Culture of malaria parasites from laboratory lines.
• DNA extraction.
• Parasite genotyping/sequencing.
• Standard and competition ELISA assays
• Recombinant protein expression.
• Immunoprofiling using flow cytometry.
• Data organisation, archiving, analysis and presentation.
• Assisting with routine laboratory activities and maintenance.
• To support and assist with training of less experienced members of the group.
• Learn new techniques as required.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
• B.Sc. in biological or medical sciences.
• Experienced in basic molecular biology and/or immunological assays.
• Ability to learn and apply new techniques quickly.
• Work effectively and independently as a team member in a collaborative research environment.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Good organisational and prioritisation skills.
• Careful attention to detail.
• An interest in the molecular epidemiology and immunology of infectious diseases, bioinformatics and/or malaria parasite biology would be added advantages.