Assistant Research Officer Job At Kemri In Kenya
Reference Number: ARO-LABS
Category: Research, Science and Biotechnology
Assistant Research Officer Job Purpose:
- To support research on the causes of infection amongst newborns. The post holder will maintain and contribute to research molecular microbiology activities including sample management, specimen processing, laboratory assays, data management, analysis, and preparation of publications.
- Laboratory Director
- Principal Investigator
Budget & Resource Responsibility
- Ordering materials, consumables and ensuring sensible use of resources.
- The KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme conducts high quality clinical trials and laboratory research focussing on diseases that present a high burden for developing countries. The programme aims to maximise opportunities for learning and training in order to maintain a cadre of highly skilled and experienced staff from all disciplines.
- The Neonatal Infections Study is one of several research studies on infections. This study will examine the causes of early neonatal infections and death by conducting molecular diagnostics on archived samples obtained from newborns at the Kilifi County Hospital.
- The post holder will have a high level of responsibility for ensuring laboratory procedures for the study are performed. The post holder will need to be self-sufficient and be able to work unsupervised, often with an unpredictable timescale.
Assistant Research Officer Job Responsibilities In Kenya
- Work with the Principal Investigator to plan and set up the study, identify and procure required resources, and document and implement study procedures according to the protocol.
- Develop, establish and maintain procedural standards and test procedures in the study.
- Conduct molecular microbiological assays using Taqman Array Card technology, interpret and document results using routine and basic laboratory procedures involving manual techniques or use of laboratory instruments.
- Standardise, calibrate and carry out preventive maintenance and basic troubleshooting on laboratory equipment and instruments.
- Track and receive samples from the biobank and ensure adequate storage of samples and that relevant support documentation is provided and processed in line with relevant QC guidelines; document sample and process information.
- Participate in various QAQC, EQA, IQC and regulatory agency activities within the assigned section, including developing and documenting QC monitors.
- Prepare and collate study results in an organized and timely manner, and prepare reports as required.
- Participate in data analysis and interpretation and provide relevant information including statistics, summaries, charts, graphs, reports, etc.
- Monitor lab resources, ensure adequate stock of reagents and other consumables are available, track usage, and inform relevant staff on the replenishment.
- Manage and dispose of waste in line with laid down guidelines including segregation and use of specified waste disposal facilities.
- Continually comply with all laid down QMS guidelines/ standards/ SOPs and comply with all health and safety guidelines.
- Report all problems encountered with samples or equipment to the immediate supervisor in a timely manner.
- And any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications For Assistant Research Officer Jobs In Kenya
- A BSc degree in Biological/Biomedical Sciences, majoring in microbiology
- Minimum 1 years experience in clinical or research microbiology
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft applications
- At least one year experience of Microbiology research one of which must be in Molecular-Microbiology work.
- Experience in using Taqman PCR systems
- Knowledge of Laboratory safety and infection control procedures and practices
- Good planning, organisation and co-ordination skills and attention to detail
- Ability to take and follow instructions, initiative, keen to learn and proactive with the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Flexibility, adaptability, ability to multi-task
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural
- Training in Good Clinical Laboratory Practice and regulatory/accreditation agency QA requirements
- Based at the KEMRI/Wellcome Trust Research Programme in Kilifi, Kenya.
- Be available to work out of hours if necessary.
- Exposure to materials considered infectious and/or biohazards.
How to Apply
- To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account or register HERE then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: “Apply for this job”.
- All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
- Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
- The application closing date is 04 May, 2016.
- KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).