Laboratory Technologist Job at Kenya Medical Research institute
(9 Months Contract)
Reference Number: LABTECH28072016
Laboratory Technologist Job Purpose
- To provide technical support to research teams in microbiological laboratory assays, analysis of samples/data and recording of applied processes and procedures in order to meet specific clinical research objectives.
- We are looking for a laboratory technologist at the Kilifi site for an international study of Group B Streptococcus (GBS). The study is examining the frequency of GBS carriage in mothers at delivery, transmission to newborns and the serotypes involved. It will also examine antibody levels in maternal and cord blood. The study is part of an international effort leading to trials of a vaccine during pregnancy to prevent newborn invasive bacterial disease.
- The focus of the technologist’s work will be microbiological processing of specimens according to standardised SOPs, careful documentation and liaison with the study team who are based in the maternity ward.
Laboratory Technologist Job Key Responsibilities
- Conduct microbiological or serological assays, interpret and document results using routine and basic laboratory procedures involving manual techniques or use of laboratory instruments.
- Standardise, calibrate and carry out preventive maintenance and basic troubleshooting on laboratory equipment and instrument.
- Receive samples and ensure that relevant support documentation is provided and process in line with relevant QC guidelines; document sample and process information.
- Liaise with the clinical study team in order to ensure that relevant samples are taken/ provided, resolve discrepancies and to communicate results in line with laid down procedures.
- Pack and dispatch samples to other laboratories using the laid down procedures (SOP)
- Participate in various QAQC, EQA, IQC and regulatory agency activities within the assigned section, including developing and documenting QC monitors.
- Prepare and collate results, update relevant databases and prepare reports as required.
- Monitor lab resources and inform relevant staff on the replenishment.
- Manage and dispose of waste in line with laid down guidelines including segregation and use of specified waste disposal facilities.
- Continually comply with all laid down QMS guidelines/ standards/ SOPs and comply with all health and safety guidelines.
Essential Qualifications for Laboratory Technologist Job
- A Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Registered with the Kenya Medical Laboratory Technicians and Technologists Board
- Experience in clinical or research microbiology
- Knowledge of laboratory Health and Safety practices
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft applications
- Strong analytical and follow through ability; attentive to detail
- Ability to follow laid down processes and procedures
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Knowledge and understanding of GCLPs and regulatory/ accreditation agency requirements
- Experience of microbiological research
How to Apply
- To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post here and click on the button: “Apply for this job”.
- All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
- Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
- The application closing date is 11 August, 2016.