Reference Number: LT04012017
Category: Laboratory and Medical Technology
Job Purpose: To provide laboratory support to Human genetics studies by carrying out routine molecular biology procedures such as DNA extraction, PCR and HPLC.
Reporting Lines:Laboratory Supervisor
The jobholder will be part of a large team whose work is focused on understanding the role human genes in childhood diseases. The appointment would be for 12 months in the first instance with the possibility of renewal for a further 12 months if required.
- To perform DNA extraction, quantification and freezing using already set SOPs.
- Perform PCR procedures for identification of common human genetic polymorphisms including alpa-thalassaemia and sickle cell anaemia.
- Receive patients specimens and carry out routine haemoglobin Electrophoresis for diagnosis of sickle cell anaemia.
- Interpret results and enter the data using an online electronic database.
- Any other responsibility assigned by the laboratory supervisor.
Skills and Competence
- Must have a Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences.
- Should be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Basic Knowledge of molecular biology.
- Computer skills required.
- Knowledge of Good Clinical Laboratory Practices and regulatory /accreditation agency requirements.
- Carefully follow written SOPs and Safety Regulations.
- Excellent oral and written communicational skills.
Any Other Information:
The appointment would be for 12 months in the first instance with the possibility of renewal for a further 12 months if required.