Kemri NGO Media Engagement Coordinator Job
Reference Number: MEC280717
Category: Media, Communications and PR
JOB PURPOSE:To contribute to the Programme’s Public Engagement strategy with the aim of promoting dialogue on health research between researchers, publics and the media fraternity. Specifically, this post will be responsible for developing and implementing a health research radio programme, as well as working with relevant departments/teams to build capacity in engaging with media.
Head of Communication and Head of Community engagement
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY:
Responsible for a laptop, as well as any other assigned assets such as digital cameras or video recording equipment.
- Implement relevant and appropriate communication guidelines, Policies and procedures for Media engagement and implementation of the Radio program
- Work closely with PIs and research study teams, community members, county health department and various other stakeholders to develop appropriate content for the Radio program.
- Develop participatory approaches for the implementation of the Radio program taking into consideration the need for knowledge exchange and information management for public engagement and coordinate liaison activities with a variety of stakeholders
- Develop auxiliary communication tools for the support, promotion and awareness of the Radio Program to the public, including features, road shows, videos, fliers etc.
- To develop, review, update and edit all communication materials including web content, publications, papers, newsletters, social media etc. relating to Media engagement and the radio program
- Capacity building and support for research staff in handling of media i.e. interviews, packaging and communicating their key messages.
- Support the Head of Communication with the coordination and engagement with the Media.
- To Support and contribute to the planning for monitoring and evaluation of the radio programme, and other media related activities as assigned.
- Document all aspects of the radio programme, through written reports and films, for purposes of sharing with local and international stakeholders
- To attend and participate in team meetings, and contribute to the overall strategic direction of media relations, including future radio programmes.
- Event management; Planning and execution of radio programme promotional events, as well we other media related events, and the management of their communications.
- Any other duty that may be assigned from time to time.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mass communication or Journalism
- Previous experience with handling Media, Experience in radio programming will be an added advantage
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in science communications and in development and implementation of communication systems in a research institution
- Experience in recording and editing videos, audio, training in Adobe editing suite and other desktop publishing software.
- Experience writing in a variety of styles for different audiences and handling social media
- Excellent familiarity with modern and best practice approaches to communication, knowledge exchange and information management.
- Ability to network and build and maintain strong relationships
- Proactive, innovative, attentive to detail and creative
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong planning and organization skills
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment