Reference Number: NURSE240717
Category: Clinical Healthcare and Research
JOB PURPOSE: This role will involve the day to day nursing care and research activities for children admitted in the paediatric ward (Ward 1) and/or HDU including participants enrolled into malnutrition studies. The post holder conducts daily activities to ensure optimal nursing assessment and care, communication with participants, timely study recruitment, data and sample collection, follow up and adherence to study-specific procedures.
Principal Investigator, malnutrition studies
Nurse Manager HDU
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY:
Petty cash, Study equipment
The KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme conducts high quality clinical trials focussing on diseases that present a high burden for developing countries.
The post holder, will work in the paediatric wards of Kilifi County hospital, and will have a high level of responsibility for planning and overseeing nursing aspects of the trial are implemented. The post holder will work closely with the MOH nursing staff in the hospital to ensure care of children in the trial is provided. The post holder will need to be self-sufficient and be able to work unsupervised within unpredictable timescales. The post is mentally demanding, and involves a high level of communication among clinical and nursing team in the hospital, trial staff, study participants and the wider community.
Staff operating at this grade range contribute to a research team and deal with relatively standard work situations which require them to apply known Standard operating procedures. They are required to provide guidance to team members at lower grades, and also be involved in supervising the work of others. Staff have responsibility for prioritising their own work and ensuring the necessary equipment/materials are available.
- Planning and provision of nursing care to patients admitted in paediatric wards, including participants enrolled in research studies
- recruitment of suitable patients for research studies screen and identify potentially eligible participants.
- Provide on-going information, education and support to families or guardians of potentially eligible research subjects and ensure all concerns and queries are addressed satisfactorily and where necessary refer to senior clinical staff.
- Administer and/or oversee the informed consent process and ensure that this is undertaken as per study protocols and Programme policies.
- Carry out trial related assessments and collection of data using case record forms in accordance to Good Clinical Practice (GCP).
- Participate in the documentation and reporting of serious adverse events and clinical endpoints, including death and readmission to hospital.
- Monitor treatment toxicity/side effects and liaise with the clinical care team to initiate changes to treatment as required by the protocol.
- Liaise with the staff providing routine clinical care on the ward to provide clinical care for patients including administering drugs and monitoring patient treatment.
- Presents clinical findings or methods/issues in study management to peers or local audience
- And any other duties that may be required by the study or clinical team.
- A diploma in Nursing (KRCHN)
- At least 2 years’ experience in nursing with additional experience/ exposure to clinical trials/ research
- Comprehensive knowledge of standard guidelines for care
- Computer literate with proficiency Microsoft applications
- Excellent diagnostic ability
- Attentive to detail with strong follow through ability
- Confidential, high integrity and strong ethics
- Flexibility, adaptability and proactive
- Able work under stressful environment with minimal supervision
- Self-driven, highly motivated and able and willing to take and follow instruction and to learn
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
- Team worker, able to work in a multi-cultural environment and punctual