Kemri NGO Statistician Job in Kenya,Salary over Ksh300,000
Reference Number: EPD-2018
Employment Type: Full time
Category: Education and Training
Job Grade: 9.0
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is one of the leading research centres in Africa. The Programme engages in a wide range of research on the main causes of ill health in Africa.
In addition, KWTRP has a strong commitment towards developing local research leadership. Most of the capacity building activities at KWTRP are managed through the Initiative to Develop African Research Leaders (IDeAL) with funding from the Wellcome Trust and DFID. The aim of IDeAL is to strengthen research capacity in Africa through research training schemes ranging from attachments for school leavers and undergraduates, Postgraduate Diploma, Masters, PhD studentships and postdoctoral fellowships.
We are now seeking to appoint a postdoctoral statistician who will provide statistical training and support for IDeAL and non-IDeAL students and fellows based at KWRTP. The post-holder will also be encouraged to develop their personal research interest, including new analyses of existing datasets and developing primary research in collaboration with other scientists in the Programme. The post-holder will have the opportunity to apply for independent funding to support their work.
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR, IDeAL as regards training support and to Director, KWTRP as regards independent research.
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: Management of any independent project funding awarded
- Provide statistical support for Programme students and early postdoctoral fellows at all stages of research projects – from proposal writing to data analysis and publication
- Work together with other statisticians at KWRTP to develop and manage statistical training packages for students and staff.
- Propose new approaches of analysing existing datasets within the Programme.
- Work with data management teams to ensure proper archiving of data arising from students’ research work.
- Support Director, IDeAL in developing linkages with statistics departments in local universities and other initiatives that are focusing on developing statistics capacity in the region.
- The post holder will be expected to develop their own personal research work, including applying for applicable funding opportunities
- Doctoral research degree, epidemiology, statistics, biostatistics, or other relevant subject.
- Proven record of quantitative research and analytical skills along with advanced research experience in data analysis and/or statistical methods.
- Experience of and demonstrated success in modeling using at least one of the following programming languages: Stata, Python, R.
- Experience in teaching or supervising statistics students is an added advantage
- Keen interest in research
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills,
- Excellent teaching skills with ability to simplify complex concepts
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Team working skills with the ability to work in a multi-cultural setting