Principal Research Officer Kenyan Job At KEMRI
Opening date: 9th March 2016
Vacancy No. K26/03/16
This program is a collaboration between Kenya Medical Research Institute, Henry Jackson Foundation MRI and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention whose remit is to conduct research in Malaria, HIV, Tuberculosis and other diseases.
Due to its continued growth, the HIV Research Branch has the following vacancy.
Position: Principal Research Officer (HIVR Branch Chief)
Reports To: Program PI
- Ph.D. or MD with Masters in Epidemiology, Public Health, or related field
- Highly experienced (minimum 7 years) in clinical, epidemiological, sociological, demographic, clinical or population science research and/or program management
- Supervisory experience including effective management of support personnel in health research projects and research teams.
- Publication experience – At least five (5) articles published in peer- review scientific journals in relevant fields.
Qualifications For Research Officer Jobs In Kenya
- Minimum 5 years of experience in HIV research studies
- Experience with designing, initiating, implementing, analyzing, presenting and publishing successful research projects as an investigator and Principal Investigator
- Demonstrated knowledge of the range of laws, policies, regulations and precedents applicable to research and especially research ethics
- Grants application and management experience
- Ability to lead and work within a team environment and in diverse cultural environment.
- Expertise with research study logistics including budgets, equipment and study products, staffing, etc.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft office suite, proficiency in Excel, Access or other database application and internet searches.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, initiative, resourcefulness and attention to detail.
- Works well with minimal supervision, employing sound judgment in problem solving and awareness of own limitations
- Work in a professional and ethical manner with competence, accountability and integrity, maintaining positive working relationships
Research Officer Job Responsibilities In Kenya
- Specifically, the Principal Research Officer will lead the conduct of epidemiologic studies and clinical trials in HIV research areas such as prevention, treatment and cure studies and others.
- The primary responsibility of the Principal Research Officer will be to optimize the scientific activities of the Branch from inception through publication.
- The Principal Research Officer will work closely with the CDC Senior Technical Advisors for HIV Research, the deputy Branch Chiefs for operation and management, clinical Trial and epidemiology, laboratory director and other colleagues on overall leadership of the branch and staff capacity building.
- The incumbent will provide leadership, direction and technical expertise to the HIVR Branch, MOH, non-governmental organizations, universities, medical institutions and other stakeholder agencies.
- Development, preparation, implementation, analysis and dissemination of high-impact HIV research portfolio through scientific journals, periodic reports and public presentations.
- Oversee the research and capacity building activities of the HIV Research Branch.Serve as Principal Investigator, co-Principal Investigator and/or co-investigator for various Branch studies
- Supervision and mentorship of Branch staff
- Work closely with the Deputy branch chief, CDC Technical Advisors and other scientists to determine the scientific agenda of the Branch
- Review all scientific presentations and manuscripts prepared by members of the branch and provide feedback.
- Maximize the quality of all study activities conducted in the Branch and diagnose and resolve study implementation problems, designing and implementing necessary organizational systems to ensure efficient and effective delivery of quality research activities and outputs.
- Works with Branch administrative staff and others to ensure that financial, human, and other resources are allocated and managed efficiently
- Review scientific presentations and manuscripts prepared by members of the Branch and provide feedback
- Lead efforts to find and apply for funding for scientific activities in the Branch
- Oversee human resource management to ensure that branch staffing is optimized.
- Work closely with HIV Research leadership to develop the capacity of branch staff through training and mentoring.
- Attend internal and external scientific meetings for the Branch and represent the Branch externally in scientific, media, and community forums.
- Review scientific literature, keeping self and staff up to date on scientific advances in relevant areas of HIV and public health.
- Manage change during transitions in organizational focus
- Coordinate and supervise monitoring and evaluation systems
- All other duties as assigned
- Excellent scientific writing and presentation skills
- Must have a good understanding and experience in HIV research, including protocol development, data collection, analysis and report writing
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to work well in a team, and be able to collaborate well with the Ministry of Health and other partners
- Fluency in English, written and spoken
- Ability to offer excellent research mentorship
Terms of Employment:
- A one year Renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service. Probation period for the first three months.
- Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on educational levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency.
- The salary scheme is based on KEMRI scales plus supplemental amounts.
Applications must include the following:
- Letter of Application (Indicate Vacancy Number)
- Three referees with contact telephone numbers and e-mail addresses
- Copies of Certificates and Transcripts
How to Apply
- How To Apply Applications are due no later than: 30th March 2016 to:
- Human Resource Manager, KEMRI/CDC Program, P.O. Box 1578, Kisumu. Or email to [email protected]
- KEMRI/CDC is an equal opportunity employer; women and disabled persons are encouraged to apply. KEMRI/CDC and does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process including application, interview meeting and processing