The project is being implemented in the Greater Amboseli landscape (Amboseli, Tsavo and Chyulu Hills).
The project seeks to engage dynamic, innovative and experienced individual to fill the following position:-
National Project Manager
One (1) Post
Duration of contract: Three (3) years
Reporting to the KWS Project Director, the overall responsibility will be management of the Project, including the mobilization of all project inputs, supervision over project staff, consultants and sub-contractors.
In addition, he/she will be responsible for supporting government obligations under the Project, through the national execution modality (NIM) and will perform a liaison role with the Government, UNDP, NGOs and other project partners, and maintain close collaboration with other donor agencies providing co-financing.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervise and coordinate the production of project outputs, as per the project document;
- Mobilize all project inputs in accordance with UNDP procedures for nationally executed projects;
- Supervise and coordinate the work of all project staff, consultants and sub-contractors;
- Coordinate the recruitment and selection of project personnel;
- Prepare and revise project work and financial plans, as required by PSC and UNDP;
- Liaise with UNDP, PSC, relevant government agencies, and all project partners, including donor organizations and NGOs for effective coordination of all project activities;
- Facilitate administrative backstopping to subcontractors and training activities supported by the Project;
- Oversee and ensure timely submission of the Inception Report, Combined Project Implementation Review/Annual Project Report (PIR/APR), Technical reports, quarterly financial reports, and other reports as may be required by UNDP, GEF, DGA and other oversight agencies;
- Disseminate project reports and respond to queries from concerned stakeholders;
- Report progress of project to the steering committees, and ensure the fulfillment of steering committees directives.
- Oversee the exchange and sharing of experiences and lessons learned with relevant community based integrated conservation and development projects nationally and internationally;
- Ensures the timely and effective implementation of all components of the Project;
- Assist community groups, municipalities, NGOs, staff, students and others with development of essential skills through training workshops and on the job training thereby upgrading their institutional capabilities;
- Coordinate and assists scientific institutions with the initiation and implementation of all field studies and monitoring components of the Project
- Assists and advises the teams responsible for documentaries, TV spots, guidebooks and awareness campaign, field studies, etc.; and
- Carryout regular, announced and unannounced inspections of all sites and the activities of the project site management units.
- Ability to effectively coordinate a large, multi-stakeholder project;
- Ability to administer budgets, train and work effectively with counterpart staff at all levels and with all groups involved in the project;
- Strong drafting, presentation and reporting skills;
- Strong computer skills, in particular mastery of all applications of the MS Office package and internet search;
- Strong knowledge about Kenya’s political and socio-economic context, in particular at National and Municipal level;
- Excellent writing/communication skills in English and Kiswahili with a good working knowledge of English being a requirement.
- MSc. in Natural Resource Management, Rangeland Management or Environmental Sciences.
- A minimum of ten (10) years professional experience in natural resource management and forestry.
- At least five (5) years of project/programme management.
- Working experiences with ministries and national institutions (Kenyan) is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Fluency in English
Candidates who meet the above requirements should submit their applications so as to reach the address shown below by close of business on Tuesday 31st May, 2016 at 4.00pm.
How to Apply