Kiambu County Jobs Surveillance & Response Coordinator
County surveillance and response coordinator Reporting to County Epidemiologist Supervises Malaria Coordinator, TB&L, Nutrition, HIV, DDSC, KEPI, RH.
Job Purpose / Job Summary
The head of County surveillance and response coordinator is in charge of all disease surveillance activities within the County.
This includes ensuring that delivery of service is aligned to national and international ethical and legal standards. He/she manages people and resources of the section in the most effective and efficient way.
Surveillance/Response Coordinator Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordination of disease prevention and control at County level and supervise disease control activities within the County;
- Provide leadership and guidance in planning and evaluation of disease prevention and control activities including TB, HIV and malaria and other communicable and non-communicable diseases;
- Provide technical support in planning, designing and evaluating surveillance systems of communicable and non-communicable diseases;
- Analyze data from epidemiological studies in the county;
- Provide training, mentoring and supervision in communicable and non communicable diseases within the County;
- Provide technical supervision and mentoring of trainees of the field epidemiological training program;
- Participate in the development of work plans, implementation monitoring and evaluation of public health interventions;
- Provide information and respond appropriately to written or oral inquiries from the general public, the media, government officials or other health professional on public health issues;
- Promote use of computers to effectively manage public health activities, specifically promote use of basic statistical and mapping software;
- Perform any other duty as assigned by Director of public health and sanitation and County epidemiologist.
Minimum Desirable Academic Qualifications for the Surveillance/Response Coordinator Job
- Bachelors degree in health related field Masters degree in health sciences
- Professional Membership Senior Management Course (SMC)
- 3 years experience at least 2 in middle management position and 1 year experience in public sector 5 years of experience.
- 3 years in middle managerial position 2 years of experience in public sector
Experience and Attributes Required
- Meets the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution;
- Proven record of results in the previous employment;
- Evidence of successful change management in previous employment;
- Kenyan citizen;
- Team player;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Competent ICT skills;
- Statistical analysis and interpretation;
- Proven record of results in managing change;
- Emotional intelligence;
- Capacity to train, mentor and coach;
- Capacity to provide leadership to the section, motivate employees and ensure high productivity;
- Comprehensive understanding of clinical and/or surgical, patient care, medical protocols and procedures.
Tools and Equipment
The holder of this position is responsible for the various ICT, communication and stationary devices used on the job.
Level of Supervision / Guidance Required
- The position holder is expected to work independently with head of division, who will, provide supervision on a needs basis.
- Frequent contact is required with the head of division to update on progress, consult with if necessary and plan on activities.
- Periodic contact is required with other section heads.
- Daily contact is required with supportive assistants.
- In addition the job holder will have contacts with external stakeholders.
Authority, Decision Making and Accountability
- The position holder is accountable for his /her decisions and actions.
- He /she makes routine operational and technical decisions within the section but is expected to in consultation with the head of the division on any non-routine important matters.
- He/she is expected to show initiative, exercise discretion and be proactive in carrying out duties.
- This position involves mainly office work based at County Health Headquarters with requirements of travel within the county.
- Work may sometimes extend past working hours and into the weekend.
Surveillance/Response Coordinator Job Performance Standards
- Effective and efficient delivery of clinical service within the County;
- Guidelines and policies understood and adhered to;
- Clinical staff evaluations conducted periodically;
- Evaluation reports completed;
- Training and capacity building recommendations carried out;
- Efficient cost management;
- Up to date medical protocol;
- Reviews conducted of relevant guidelines, protocols, policies and so on;
- Quality mentoring and internship programmes in place.
How to Apply
- All applicants should submit their applications together with copies of their detailed curriculum vitae with names, address and telephone contacts of three referees.
- Academic and professional certificates, testimonials, national identity card or passport and any other supporting documents.
- Clearly indicate the position applied for both on the cover letter and the envelope. Applications should be addressed to:
- The Secretary County Public Service Board P O Box 2362 – 00900 KIAMBU
- Hand delivered applications should be dropped in the specific box provided on the first floor Thika Sub-County offices (at the County Public Service Board offices – Room 103) between 8.00 a.m and 5.00 p.m on weekdays.
- Applicants should seek clearance from and attach copies or evidence thereof of the VALID/CURRENT documents below.
- Kenya Revenue Authority
- Ethics and Anti-corruption Commission
- Criminal Investigation Department (Certificate of Good Conduct)
- Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
- Applications should reach the County Public Service Board (CPSB) on or before the 22nd December, 2016. Shortlisted candidates will be required to produce their original identity cards, academic and professional certificates, testimonials, clearance and other relevant documents in support of their applications.
- NOTE Those who had applied earlier can re-apply. (kindly attach all the required documents). Must be working with Kiambu county government health facilities. Women and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply. People from non-dominant ethnic communities are encouraged to apply Any form of canvassing shall lead to immediate disqualification. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.