Kiambu County Jobs Pharmacist
Job Title County Pharmacist Reports to County Director Curative and Rehabilitative
Supervises Sub County Pharmacists, Pharmacists and pharmaceutical technologists
Job Purpose / Job Summary
The Head of the section on Essential Health Products and Technologies provides managerial oversight to facilitate biological engineering and commodity management within the department, including the appropriate implementation of the essential 7 health products and technologies’ management cycle, and manages people and resources at his/her disposal in an effective and efficient manner.
Pharmacist Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides technical guidance and advises the County Director of Health and CHMT on issues related to essential health products and technologies;
- Oversees the development, review, interpretation, dissemination and implementation of policies, guidelines and SOPS related to essential health products and technologies;
- Analyses sub-county reports and prepares comprehensive county commodities and technologies reports, making required recommendations;
- Provides technical guidance and advice on effective staffing the for development program;
- Assist in the development of the health strategic plan and the annual work plan;
- Reviews strategic and annual plans;
- Maintains staff database;
- Ensures that policy, standards and guidelines are disseminated and understood;
- In coordination with other section and division heads mobilizes resources through partners and stakeholder forums;
- Coordinates capacity building for health workers in essential health products and technologies for efficient and effective service delivery;
- Closely collaborates with supply chain management to ensure optimal stocking of essential health products and technologies;
- Coordinates safe disposal of expired commodities;
- Conduct surveys to assess adherence to standards and takes corrective action where necessary;
- In collaboration with other sections and divisions assists with the preparation and implementation of annual budgets, operating plans, and strategic initiatives;
- Ensures adherence to all rules, regulations and laws;
- Participate in the relevant county and committee meetings;
- Promote staff career development, appraisal and motivation;
- Participate in county health management team meetings; 8
- Promotes and maintains quality standards;
- Promote inter-sectional and inter-divisional collaboration;
- Assist the director in managing relevant Public Private Partnerships;
- Any other responsibilities as delegated by the County Director.
Minimum Desirable Academic Qualifications for the Pharmacist Job
- Bachelor’s degree in pharmacy Master’s degree in relevant field
- Professional qualifications Registered with pharmacy and poisons board
- SMC, Strategic Leadership Development Programme (SLDP) Lengths and types of experience
- 5 years in senior managerial position 3 in public sector
- 5 years in senior managerial positions 3 in public sector Additional Attributes
- Meets the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution;
- Proven record of results in the previous employment;
- Evidence of successful change management in previous employment;
- Kenyan citizen;
- Team player;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Competent ICT skills;
- Statistical analysis and interpretation;
- Proven record of results in managing change;
- Emotional intelligence;
- Capacity to train, mentor and coach;
- Capacity to provide leadership to the section, motivate employees and ensure high productivity;
- Comprehensive understanding of health products and technology.
Tools and Equipment
- The holder of this position is responsible for the various ICT, communication and stationary devices used on the job.
Level of Supervision / Guidance Required
- The position holder is expected to work independently with head of division, who will, provide supervision on a needs basis.
- The holder of this position is expected to work independently with minimal supervision from the County Director.
- He/she will encourage section heads within the division to work independently, while receiving minimal supervision from the job holder.
- The job holder has an extensive network of internal and external contacts.
- He/she interacts with the County Director and staff within the division on a regular basis.
- The job holder also manages contacts with external stakeholders in the sector.
Authority, Decision Making and Accountability The position holder is accountable for his/her decisions and actions.
- He /she makes routine operational and technical decisions within the section but is expected to in consultation with the head of the division on any non-routine important matters.
- He/she is expected to show initiative, exercise discretion and be proactive in carrying out duties.
- This position involves mainly office work based at County Health Headquarters with requirements of travel within the county.
- Work may sometimes extend past working hours and into the weekend.
Pharmacist Job Performance Standards
- Technical assistance available;
- County commodities reports developed and recommendations followed through;
- Staff database in place;
- Adequate staffing;
- Essential health products and technologies constantly stocked;
- Number of development programs conducted;
- Timely reporting and analysis of data;
- SOPs displayed and followed;
- Consistency in supply of essential commodities and technologies;
- Tracer drugs managed in a timely manner;
- Strategic plan and annual work plan developed;
- Strategic and annual plan implemented;
- Strategic plan and annual plan monitored and evaluated periodically;
- Policy available to all;
- Relevant policy implemented and adhered to;
- Surveys conducted;
- Corrective actions due to surveys taken;
- Annual budgets, operating plans and strategic initiatives developed and implemented;
- Participation in all relevant meetings and committees;
- Resources available for division;
- Active and supportive staff environment;
- Periodic staff appraisals conducted interventions implemented;
- Minimum absences from county management team meetings;
- Evident collaboration between sections and divisions;
- Assistance provided towards management of PPP.
How to Apply
- All applicants should submit their applications together with copies of their detailed curriculum vitae with names, address and telephone contacts of three referees.
- Academic and professional certificates, testimonials, national identity card or passport and any other supporting documents.
- Clearly indicate the position applied for both on the cover letter and the envelope. Applications should be addressed to:
- The Secretary County Public Service Board P O Box 2362 – 00900 KIAMBU
- Hand delivered applications should be dropped in the specific box provided on the first floor Thika Sub-County offices (at the County Public Service Board offices – Room 103) between 8.00 a.m and 5.00 p.m on weekdays. Applicants should seek clearance from and attach copies or evidence thereof of the VALID/CURRENT documents below. Kenya Revenue Authority Ethics and Anti-corruption Commission Criminal Investigation Department (Certificate of Good Conduct) Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
- Applications should reach the County Public Service Board (CPSB) on or before the 22nd December, 2016. Shortlisted candidates will be required to produce their original identity cards, academic and professional certificates, testimonials, clearance and other relevant documents in support of their applications.
- NOTE: Those who had applied earlier can re-apply. (kindly attach all the required documents). Must be working with Kiambu county government health facilities. Women and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply. People from non-dominant ethnic communities are encouraged to apply Any form of canvassing shall lead to immediate disqualification. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.