KickStart International prides itself in being an award-winning, global nonprofit social enterprise that develops and mass- markets low-cost irrigation solutions that are bought by thousands of small-holder farmers in developing countries and used to increase their income by up to a factor of ten, enabling them to lift themselves sustainably out of poverty.
Vacant Position: Assistant Motor Vehicle Mechanic / Driver / Office Messenger
Function: HR & Administration
Location: KickStart HQ Office – Nairobi
Type of Contract: Open Ended
Role Purpose: The position of Assistant Mechanic and Driver / Office Messenger is responsible for providing quality and efficient HR and Admin support to the KickStart team based in Nairobi
Scope of Role:
Reports to: Senior Administration Officer
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Works with: All teams
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Discuss problems with car drivers or vehicle operators to discover faults
- Inspect the engines, fit and operate special test equipment, and test-drive vehicles
- Repair or replace worn or faulty parts by removing assemblies such as engines, transmissions, differentials or steering gear systems; dismantling them and checking parts, referring to manuals as necessary
- Reassemble, test, clean and adjust repaired or replaced parts or assemblies, using various instruments to make sure they are working properly and putting them back into the vehicle
- Tune engines using special electronic equipment and make fine adjustments (to carburetors, for example) for smoother running
- Carry out minor body and trim repairs
- Diagnose, repair and replace engine management and fuel injection components
- Inspect vehicles and issue roadworthiness certificates or list the work required before a certificate can be issued.
- Carrying out servicing of vehicles and inspection of all KS vehicles
- Diagnosing faults in vehicles and recommending the required repairs to be done and carrying out routine checks on the vehicles to ensure they are in good working condition
- Purchasing MV spare parts/tools and proper record keeping
- Generator servicing and general mechanical works
- Running errands where appropriate
- Deal with government offices on renewal of licenses eg office permit, business permit,
- Immigration services – deals with renewal of work permits, passports, visas,
- Drive KS staff and visitors to the field
- Renewal of post office box and other rentals
- Motor vehicle transfers, duty payments, and other related issues on vehicles
- Payments of NSSF, NHIF and other statutory deductions
- Any other duty as may be assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Level of Education: KCSE
- Specialized Training / Professional Qualifications with a minimum in Motor vehicle Mechanics Grade II training
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a busy environment managing motor vehicle repairs.
- Must be a holder of a clean and valid driving license Class ‘ABCE’ with not less than 3yrs driving in Nairobi and out of Nairobi on long journeys.
- Experience with in an international NGO and preferred experience managing donor visits
- Preferred experience in managing follow-ups of work permit and special pass approvals and in liaising with government, partners and collaborating agencies.
- AA Certificate of competency.
- Certificate of good conduct.
- Government Trade Test III on motor mechanics would be an added advantage
- Skills and Behaviours
- Must have ability to work and relate well with people from diverse backgrounds, and handle people in a firm but highly respectful manner.
- Ability to write and communicate well in English and Kiswahili
- Must be a person of unquestionable integrity.
- Show Commitment to KickStart Core Values
How to Apply
If you feel you are the right candidate for this position, please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] quoting “Assistant Motor Vehicle Mechanic/Driver/Office Messenger” on the subject line of your e-mail application before COB 25th August, 2015.
See www.KickStart.org for more information