Summary of Primary Duties: The Communications Specialist will work with the Communications and Marketing Manager in planning, designing and carrying out project communication activities.
S/he will also focus on the development of products for public access and the project’s online platforms including the KIWASH website, Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr.
- Solicit for information for success stories from technical team members and sub implementing partners. Draft and/or edit success stories with appropriate photographs for sharing with USAID and posting on KIWASH website.
- Draft publicity materials including activity profiles and project factsheet, success stories, case studies, and articles for KIWASH quarterly newsletter, quarterly and annual progress reports.
- Establish photo library using Flickr, prepare updated project presentations, site visit kits and press kits.
- Provide design and layout support for all publications and publicity materials.
- Author brief social media postings with corresponding links and source appropriate images for the postings in coordination with technical teams and implementing partners.
- Schedule and post social media content as per the content calendar and obtain approvals for content prior to publishing.
- Monitor and responds to followers’ feedback and inquiries in accordance to established policy.
- Ensure brand compliance with USAID Branding and Marking Guidelines across all social media assets deployed.
- Gather, analyze and report social media performance data and provide insights and actionable recommendations for improving performance over time. KPIs include: reach, engagement and sentiment.
- Review the daily press for WASH related topics and news, and share with team based on relevance
- Help establish and maintain a database of project partners by soliciting input from the KIWASH team and key partners, stakeholder meetings and forums.
- Assist with coordination of field events, launches, site visits etc. ensuring USAID input and clearance is received in a timely manner.
- Help prepare and update a standard information package on the KIWASH project counties for distribution to the public and the media.
- A degree in the field of communications, marketing, international relations or a related area is desirable.
- At least three years of relevant work experience in the field of communications, social media management, preferably in the development sector. Experience with a USAID project is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of MS Office software, web design, HTML and other media software packages (i.e. InDesign, Photoshop and video editing software) and photography is required.
- Understanding of the fundamentals of social media content sourcing and experience using Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr for campaigns and organizational outreach.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent inter-personal skills to ensure effective team relations. Strong organizational skills, analytical abilities and initiative to prioritize and complete tasks and manage multiple projects with minimal supervision.
Base of Operations: Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel to the field
Reporting: The Communications Specialist will report to the Communications and Marketing Manager.