The Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) is a corporate body established under the Statistics Act (2006).
It is the principal Government agency responsible for the collection, compilation, analysis, publication and dissemination of official statistical information and its custody.
It also oversees the coordination, supervision and development of programmes within the National Statistical System.
The Kenya National Bureau of Statistics invites applications from suitable qualified and experienced individuals with excellent credentials to fill the following positions:-
Job Title: Manager Finance, Chief Accountant
KNBS: Level 4
Ref: KNBS/ MCA/15/2015
No. of Posts: 1
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Senior Manager Finance, the officer will be responsible for overseeing activities relating to accounting and finance.
- Assisting the Senior Manager-Finance in designing and formulation of accounting systems and procedures;
- Developing, implementing and maintaining financial policies, plans, procedures and adequate systems of internal control;
- Developing stringent and expenditure control procedures by ensuring proper cash flow and revenue management;
- Ensuring proper cash flow management and investment of funds that are not in immediate use;
- Ensuring that all payments are properly supported by proper authority and valid accounting documents and those payment procedures and policies are followed;
- Ensuring prompt payment of staff dues and all statutory dues;
- Coordinating the preparation of the annual budget for the Bureau, and the Medium Term Expenditure Framework;
- Monitoring and tracking the utilization of capital and operational expenditure against budget and ensuring that variances are justified in accordance with the approved polices and regulations;
- Operationalizing the approved Institutional Risk Management Policy Framework (IRMPF) and bringing out any emergent risks;
- Preparing quarterly and annual financial statements and reports, and their analysis;
- Preparing and managing donor funded project accounts and reports;
- Liaising with external and other relevant institutions on financial matters;
- Coordinating, liaising and responding to both Internal and External Audit queries and following up on their recommendations;
- Assisting in the implementation of the computerized financial information systems that cover the financial transactions and management of fixed assets;
- Supervising and managing staff in the section;
- Implementing performance management activities;
- Participating in policy development implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Ensuring the activities of the section are documented on a continuous basis;
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the Senior Manager Finance.
Requirements for Appointment
- Have a Bachelor related degree such as B.Com or related discipline from a recognized University;
- At least (6) years working experience in financial management and accounting, 3 (three) of which must have been in the public sector at the level of Assistant Manager or its equivalent;
- Must possess professional qualifications such as CPA (K), ACCA or its equivalent and must be a member of a relevant professional body in good standing;
- Knowledge of computerized accounting & financial systems;
- Knowledge of Government Financial operations as outlined in the Public Financial Management Act 2012
- Must be a team player with relevant leadership skills and experience;
- Must have good communication and motivation skills;
- Must meet the requirements of Chapter six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit application letters accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae using the KNBS CV format (CLICK HERE to download), Bio Data Form (CLICK HERE to download), full names and contacts of three (3) referees, daytime contacts, and copies of academic and professional certificates, transcripts and testimonials.
The reference number for the post applied should be clearly marked on the envelope and addressed to:-
The Director General Kenya National Bureau of Statistics P. O. Box 30266 – 00100 Herufi House, 1st Floor, Room 102 Nairobi
Applications must be received not later than 24th of September.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Kenya National Bureau of Statistics is an Equal Opportunity Employer and women and persons with disability are encouraged to apply.
Director General Kenya National Bureau of Statistics