The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) is an independent National Human Rights Institution created by Article 59 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 and established by the Government of Kenya through an Act of Parliament (the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights Act, 2011) and under the United Nations Paris Principles.
KNCHR’s mandate includes furthering the protection and promotion of human rights in Kenya, acting as a watchdog over the Government in the area of human rights, and the provision of Leadership in moving the country towards a human rights state.
KNCHR fulfils its human rights mandate through a number of programmes, including Research and Compliance, Public Education and Training, Complaints and Investigations, Redress and Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.
The Commission’s main office is in Nairobi with four regional offices in Wajir, Kitale, Mombasa and Kisumu. Officers may serve in the Head Office or in any of the regional offices.
KNCHR hereby invites applications for the following position in its head office:
Senior Public Affairs and Communication Officer
Reports to: Deputy Commission Secretary
Location: Head Office, with occasional travel
Duration: Permanent and Pensionable
Gross Salary: Kshs 205,850
Job Objective: Oversee, conceptualize, design and implement internal and external communication strategies and programmes that advance the commission strategic objectives and coordinating the publication of the commission journals and key publications.
I. Managerial / Supervisory Responsibilities
• Profile and brand the commission, create awareness and enhance accessibility of the commission to the public through appropriate marketing strategies.
• Provide advice to the chairperson’s office as the spokesperson of the commission on public affairs and communication matters always and as appropriate
• Develop a publicity frame work that will enable the commission to spread information about its services for purposes of public awareness that enhance their abilities to demand.
• Quality control of all publications of the commission
• Develop, implement, manage and monitor on budgeting and financial management of the department’s resources.
• Establish a level of public relations with varied stakeholders.
II. Operational Responsibilities / Tasks
• Work in consultation with commission secretary, deputy secretary and other heads of departments.
• To be fully accountable for the specific deliverables assigned to the position in consultation with other department team members.
• Be responsible for the departmental data assigned to and specifically the website data and information.
Skills, Experience and Minimum Qualifications
• A Master’s Degree in Communication from a recognized University
• Five years’ Experience of which one is at a supervisory role
• A bachelor’s degree in communication plus 7 years experience, 3 of which should have been at senior level management in development communication or relevant field
• Good understanding of human rights and demonstrable solid commitment to social justice.
• Good organizational, writing, interpersonal, communication and analytical skills
• Computer literacy, ability to work in stressful and demanding environments.
• Fluency in spoken and written English and Swahili.
KNCHR is an equal opportunity employer which offers a competitive remuneration commensurate to qualifications and experience.
Qualified female candidates and persons with disability are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
If you possess the above qualities, All applicants are requested to submit online applications through http://recruitments.knchr.org and manual application through our post office or by hand delivery, clearly indicating the position, Online Application No. and the Ref No. on both the cover letter and envelope, together with a detailed C.V, names and telephone contacts of three referees two of whom should be your immediate supervisors in your current and your past employment, to reach us by Monday 19th October, 2015 to:
The Commission Secretary, Kenya National Commission on Human Rights Lenana Road, CVS Plaza, 1st Floor P. O. Box 74359-00200 Nairobi
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.