Knowledge, Communication and Documentation Officer
Locations: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Level: National: D2
Contract: Fixed Term
Job Ref No.: INT1865
Who we are
Oxfam is an International NGO working with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering in Tanzania and more than 80 other countries worldwide. In Tanzania Oxfam works with more than 46 civil society organisations in Shinyanga, Simiyu, Geita, Mwanza, Dodoma, Morogoro, Tanga, Lindi, Iringa, Mtwara, Kagera, Manyara and Arusha to implement country strategy.
We are currently looking for a dynamic and knowledgeable Knowledge, Communication and Documentation Officer to enhance the impact of our work in Tanzania.
Roles and Responsibilities
In this role you will report to the EJ Advocacy and Campaigns Manager and you will be responsible for the following:
• Coordinate the external communications plan to support the campaigns and advocacy, work (media advocacy strategies).
• Gathering and presenting content for different media and audiences – by sourcing, producing and delivering high-quality content for use in multi-channel platforms as required, and facilitating the production of such content by other professionals
• Contribute written materials regularly that illustrate the impact of programme work and its context
• Support programme share knowledge produced and document for further advocacy purposes.
• Establish and maintain relationships with key print, broadcast and online journalists to expand media coverage in the country/region
• Pro-actively seek and maximise opportunities to raise Oxfam’s profile in media
• Strengthen Oxfam’s Campaigns and Advocacy communications with its partner organisations in Tanzania
• Lead in documentation of knowledge gathered such as through case studies, anecdotes, attitude shifts and policy changes to be used for further advocacy and learning purposes.
• Development, editing and publishing of the content of strategic information materials for advocacy including press releases, press kits, information packages, policy briefs, researches for national sensitisation activities and other public engagements.
• Support Oxfam to reach national level influencing and change that translates into impact on the ground.
• Build on existing knowledge and evidence cumulated through networks and coalitions to tackle roots of poverty.
• Provide technical backing to Oxfam in Tanzania partners on campaigning and advocating through knowledge, communication and documentation.
• Ensure that HIV&AIDS and Gender issues are mainstreamed within joint economic justice campaigning & advocacy work
• Develop strategies for change to give Oxfam a more influential voice to help address the causes of poverty, suffering and injustice.
• Represent Oxfam within alliances and fora for economic justice campaigning and advocacy
• Monitoring and evaluation including adherence to programme standards and development of case studies to demonstrate the outcomes and impact of the campaigning and advocacy work on economic justice. Also including preparation of monthly and annual reports for submission to the Country Management Team.
Skills and Comepetencies
A candidate envisaged for this role will have:
• At least 2 years experience of campaigning and advocacy work on issues such as agriculture, food security, pastoralism and land rights
• Excellent communicator with solid experience of working with media
• Relevant experience in developing and implementing communications strategies, including digital strategy
• Demonstrable experience in writing skills to professional level
• Understanding of media markets in East Africa and in Europe
• Proven creative ability to spot and maximize opportunities to generate profile and PR
• Experience working with multiple stakeholders to deliver complex projects
• Strong knowledge of digital communications and how to use new media to engage audiences
• Excellent written communications skills in English and Kiswahili with proven track record of producing high quality written communications materials
• Knowledge and understanding of the context of poverty and vulnerability in Tanzania
• Commitment to active citizenship and gender equality
• Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse organisation
• Commitment to Oxfam values, principles and objectives
• Flexibility in terms of travel and working hours is a requirement of this role with the possibility of working away from the office for periods of up to 2 weeks at a time approximately 5-6 times in any 12 months.
• Demonstrable knowledge of the inter-relationship between HIV&AIDS and sustainable livelihoods
• Good IT skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, internet and email)
This opportunity is for a dedicated and highly motivated professional with strong commitment to Oxfam’s values and beliefs. If you believe you qualify for this post and you are the candidate that we are looking for, please submit your application and CV in English detailing your experience for the post applied and include daytime telephone contacts by applying online at www.oxfam.org.uk/jobs and then go to current vacancies. You are advised to use advert Reference number INT1865 and the job title above.We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. The closing date for this post is Tuesday 8th October 2015
“Qualified women are highly encouraged to apply”
Oxfam has zero tolerance on bribery; any such incidences of solicitation should be reported to email@example.com