Water Services Trust Fund (WSTF), is a State Corporation established under the Water Act, 2002 and our mandate is “to assist in financing the provision of water services to areas of Kenya which are without adequate water services”.
We are a basket fund for mobilizing resources and providing financial assistance towards capital investment costs of providing Water Service and Sanitation.In our current strategic plan, we have committed to an ambitious and aggressive journey towards the achievement of our mandate, and as a result, we have created a number of new positions in our organisation structure.
We are seeking a professional and committed individual with extensive experience to fill the following position:
Job Title: Manager, Legal Affairs / Company Secretary
Job Grade: 7
Department: CEO Office
Reports to: Chief Manager, Resource Mobilisation and Corporate Affairs
Number Supervised: NonePurpose of the Position: The purpose of this position is to act as the Company Secretary and oversee all legal matters of the Fund by ensuring the Fund honours all contractual agreements, acts in a legally justifiable manner in all its dealings, and is not exposed to litigation in all its dealings with our various stakeholders, including Contractors, partners, the public and employees.
Duties and responsibilities will include;
- Analyze the legal implications of all the activities of the Fund to ensure that it conducts all its activities and operations within the existing legal framework.
- Advice the Fund as a whole and specific departments as necessary on appropriate legal implications with regard to its activities and operations
- Serve as an internal early warning system in identifying potential legal risks to the Fund.
- Draw up and implement suitable policies and procedures that ensure compliance
- Obtain the necessary permits and authorizations required by the Fund to carry out its activities and operations, take safe custody of said documents and ensure compliance to their terms and conditions
- Legal drafting of all agreements including but not limited to leases, and contracts for employment, commercial transactions, and supply agreements.
- Develops and review the terms and conditions on which the Fund generally operates from time to time
- Negotiates favourable terms on behalf of the Fund with the various third parties who contract with the Fund
- Routinely validates and approves the contracts that the Fund enters into and ensures that the terms and conditions in the said contracts are favourable for the Fund
- Promotes an effective intellectual property strategy, function, process and system to protect and enhance the intellectual assets of the Fund.
- Executes and manages appropriate legal action in response to suits filed against the Fund by external parties and to prosecute third parties when company rights and/or interests are violated.
- Manage WSTFs panel of external lawyers and liaising with them on litigation and conveyance matters and ensuring value for money and timely provision
- Documentation and storage of Legal and Gazette Notices, legal notices and update of statutes.
- Act as company Secretary and provide technical support to the CEO in coordinating Board of Trustees meetings including but not limited to taking minutes and maintaining legal instruments
- Manages and coordinates the activities of other legal staff and ensures the function is within budget and in line with Fund strategy as communicated from time to time.
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the CEO
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of Law (LLB) from a recognized University
- Postgraduate Diploma in Law from Kenya School of Law.
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya eligible to practice law.
- A member of a professional body e.g. Law Society of Kenya, Institute of Arbitrators.
- A CPS (K) or a related qualification will be an added advantage. Master’s degree in relevant field will be an added advantage
- Must have at least seven (5) years working experience in a law firm, a corporation or in a busy public practice office, 3 of which must be at a senior position.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High personal standards and goal oriented
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop position papers as well as write reports
How to Apply
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications with the job title clearly marked on the envelope to the address below.
Your application should include a cover letter demonstrating why you are the best suited candidate, copies of your academic and professional certificate and testimonials and copies of professional membership(s) certificates.
It should also include details of telephone contacts, email address current position and immediate supervisor position, current and expected remuneration and three referees; one academic and two professionals.Manager, Human Resource & Administration, Water Services Trust Fund, Upper Hill, Mara Road, CIC Plaza, 1st Floor, P O Box 49699 – 00100, Nairobi. Email: [email protected]
To be received not later than close of business 28th August 2015.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.Water Services Trust Fund is an equal opportunity employer and persons with disabilities, youth, women and marginalized groups are encouraged to apply.