The Kenya Veterinary Vaccines Production Institute (KEVEVAPI) is a state corporation established under the State Corporations Act, (CAP 446) through Legal Notice No. 223 and
operating under the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries, The State Department of Livestock mandated with the production, manufacturing, research and marketing of veterinary vaccines. In order to strengthen the corporate strategy and our market leadership, we invite dynamic, innovative and self motivated candidates to submit their applications for the following position.
Reporting to the Chief Executive, the Senior legal officer shall be responsible for assisting the Chief Executive Officer to ensure that corporate governance is observed within the Board and Committees, facilitating Board meetings ensuring actions are adequately documented and followed up and compliance with statutory duties required of a public institution in addition to , ensuring effective management , the institute’s continuing obligations are observed in line with Mwongozo, the code of Corporate Governance, the Companies Act and best practice.
Senior Legal Officer Job Responsibilities
- Providing guidance to the Board on their duties and responsibilities and matters of governance;
- Assisting the Board in carrying out the following; induction and training, updating of board and committee charters, preparation of board work plans, board evaluation, governance audit, implementation of the code of conduct and ethics;
- Coordinate on behalf of the Chief Executive Officer (BoM Secretary) all affairs of the Board of Management including arrangements of full Board meetings and Standing
- Committee meetings, timely preparation of Board papers and circulation of minutes.
- Except in exceptional circumstances, ensure that the Board and Commitee papers are circulated in advance of any meeting;
- Maintain and update the register of conflicts of interest;
- Providing secretarial services to the Board and advising the Board and the
- Management on relevant laws affecting the institute;
- Interpretation of relevant Acts of Parliament and advice on their legal implications
- Facilitate effective communication between the institute and the shareholders;
- Ensure annual returns are promptly filed with relevant authorities
- Preparing departmental budget and ensuring proper control systems;
- Advising on the preparation of business contracts between KEVEVAPI and its clients.
- Advise the Institute on drafting of Licence on Agreements, Memorandum of
- Understanding (MoUs) and Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs) among other legal documents.
Qualifications for the Senior Legal Officer Job
- Have a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) degree from a recognized Institution;
- Postgraduate Diploma in legal studies from the Council of Legal Education;
- Masters degree in law from a recognized Institution
- Have a current practicing certificate
- Be registered as an advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
- Holder of CPS (K) and registration with the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya will be an added advantage.
- Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 on Leadership and integrity.
How to Apply
Application should be accompanied with Copies of Relevant Academic and Professional certificates, Testimonials, National Identity Card or Passport and other relevant supporting documents; a detailed Curriculum Vitae stating current position, remuneration, email and other contact details as well as names and contacts (telephone and email address) of three referees familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Shortlisted candidates will be required to satisfy the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 and should submit among other documents the following:
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigation;
- Clearance Certificate from the Higher Education Loans Board;
- Tax Compliance Certificate from the Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Clearance from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission;
- Report from the Approved Credit Reference Bureau.
Interested applicants should submit ten (10) hard copies of their applications which should clearly be marked ‘Application for the position of…………………….. Ref. No…. Applications must be received on or before Friday, 16th December 2016 at 12 noon.