Vacancy: Legal Officer
Our client is a leading real estate development partner offering solutions that range from project management to co-development and property trading in the Kenyan real estate sector.
They have a wide portfolio of blue chip clientele and partners having achieved unmatched recognition in the industry and effectively built its brand as a reliable delivery partner.
They have has responded to the socio-economic needs of the growing population through the development of innovative developments that positively transform neighbourhoods and communities throughout the region.
Are you a young seasoned Legal Counsel who is confident, ambitious, resourceful and imaginative with the desire to challenge yourself?
Are you interested in being part of a team focused towards transforming the real estate market in Kenya and beyond the East African region?
If so, then this is the job you are looking for.
Our client would like to fill the position of a Legal Officer who will be reporting to the CEO.
Job Purpose / Summary: The position is responsible for providing overall leadership for the division including planning for and delivery of the targets and results set for the division.
It also ensures optimum resourcing to deliver the business objectives and building a high performance team in the division.
The position is also responsible for putting in place systems, processes, and procedures that enable the efficient and effective delivery of results and for measures that enable continuous improvement within the division.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Direction
- Providing Legal Opinion on various Legal Matters relating to Property and Real Estate Business and also handling all the matters pertaining to Legal Compliance
- Communicating and articulating the business objectives to the division team in a clear and concise manner so that their actions and activities are properly aligned with the business objectives.
- Setting aggressive targets and continuously monitoring performance to ensure that the division’s outputs are aligned to the business objectives and achieved.
- Resolving issues, problems, and challenges that may arise from time to time within the division or on project deliverables that are the responsibility of the division.
Planning and Management
- Preparing annual and project specific plans containing Key Performance Indicators that ensure optimum resourcing and equipping of the division.
- Looking ahead at risks, issues and challenges likely to occur on projects and proactively addressing them to avoid failure to achieve set targets.
- Working with Finance to prepare annual budgets and where applicable Profit and Loss forecasting for the division and taking responsibility for the targets set.
- Establishing systems, processes and procedures within the division and ensuring they are followed.
- Ensuring that required reports are accurately prepared and issued in a timely manner.
- Establishing and periodically reviewing Key Performance Indicators and Measures for the division to track performance and put in place mechanisms and actions for continuous improvement to ensure that year on year and project on project there are improvements from lessons learnt in previous years/projects.
- Provide day to day Legal advice and support to the Group, Project SPV’s and division heads.
- In liaison with external Counsel, oversee the preparation, review and execution of all legal agreements and contracts.
- Researching and updating legal issues and structures including keeping up to date with legislation and advising the Group and Project SPV’s on changes that impact the projects or Group.
- Liaising with external Counsels and intermediaries to resolve and negotiate through all legal challenges, problems, disputes and difficulties as they arise.
- Ensuring that the Group and project SPV’s are Compliant with Statutory requirements.
- Oversee all Company Secretarial requirements and activities for the Group and project SPV’s
- Oversee the fast tracking and diligent handling of all matters for the Group or projects before the Registrar of Companies, Lands Office, Survey of Kenya, Director of Physical Planning and National Lands Commission
- A LLB undergraduate degree.
- A Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Must be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- At least eight years legal experience ideally in a leading organization, with a proven track record in conveyancing.
- Proven track record of providing accurate and effective legal counsel.
- Proven track record of adding value to an organization through the development of comprehensive contract documents that mitigate risk and penalties.
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills necessary for interaction with the Government agencies, the Judicial system and negotiating parties.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and experience with, laws dealing with government and/or commercial contract administration, particularly contract negotiation, preparation and administration.
Required skills and key competencies
- Excellent command and articulation of the English language.
- High interpersonal skills and ability to interact with people from all walks of life.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to provide independent advice (orally and in writing) to senior level management on highly technical matters.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills.
- Demonstrate success in managing and conducting a variety of litigation matters.
- Good planning and organization skills.
- Proven ability to delicately solve sensitive matters.
Salary: Attractive salary package
How to Apply
If you are interested in the position and have the skills and talents our client is looking for, we would like to hear from you.
Please CLICK HERE to make your application online before close of business 7th September 2015.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.