Under the direction of the Managing Director, the Legal Counsel is responsible for providing Legal advice and support, dealing with external advocates, Secretarial services to the Board of Directors and ensuring effective custody of all contracts and legal documents.
Nature of Job: Full Time
Secretary Job Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Liaising with external advocates on recoveries and matters we have appointed the external advocates to represent the organisation.
- Ensuring that witnesses avail themselves in court on behalf of the organisation.
- Preparing weekly reports on recoveries and suits where the organisation has appointed external advocates.
- Draft and send correspondence to external advocates.
- Advising and ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory requirements
- Facilitating adequate legal representation either in person or through the Company’s panel of lawyers.
- Advising the Company on all contracts and agreements to be entered into between the Company and other parties
- Taking responsibility for legal matters in collaboration with external lawyers on disputed issues.
- Coordination of the preparation of agendas for Board meetings and coordination of the preparation of other documentation required for Board meetings.
- Taking and compiling of minutes of the Board in a timely manner and ensuring their circulation, custody of records of the Board and the preservation of original documents
- Ensuring that signed and confirmed minutes are filed
- Communicating resolutions of the Board, through the Managing Director to officers for appropriate action
- Reviewing contracts and leases drawn by third parties.
- Drafting, verifying and executing of legal documents
- Ensuring safe custody of legal documentation
- Continuous monitoring and review of regulations governing the operations of the Company to ensure compliance with statutory requirements and legal obligations.
- Interpreting legal opinions and offering guidance on legal requirements.
- Carrying out any other duties as may be directed from time to time
Qualifications for the Secretary Job
- Must be a holder of Bachelor of Laws degree from a recognized institution.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field will be an added advantage
- Be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and holder of a valid practicing license
- Be a Certified Public Secretary (CPSK)
- Have a minimum of 12 (twelve) years post qualification experience 5(five) of which must have been at senior level
- Have good communication skills as well as interpersonal skills with good public relations skills
- Demonstrable exposure to a computerized working environment and basic ICT literacy
- Demonstrable appreciation of strategic management processes
How to Apply
Qualified candidates to send CVs to [email protected]
Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.