Senior Logistics/Procurement Assistant Jobs at International Organization for Migration
Vacancy No. : IOMKE/SVN/083/2016
Duty Station : Nairobi, Kenya
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G6
Type of Appointment : Special Short Term, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : November 23, 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Country Office in Kenya and under the direct supervision of the Logistics and Procurement Officer in Nairobi, the incumbent shall be responsible for carrying out procurement and logistics functions in accordance with IOM’s regulations, rules and procedures.
Responsibilities for the Senior Logistics/Procurement Assistant Job
- Assist in the planning, implementation, controlling and monitoring aspects related to procurement and logistical needs to support IOM’s humanitarian activities within the mission in Kenya, including: organize and maintain systems/procedures for procurement, supply and contracting of goods/works/services, documentation, equipment up-grading, assets management, fleet management, and office maintenance.
- Liaise with the Logistics and Procurement Officer regarding procurement and service requests and requirements, to consolidate overall mission procurement requirements and optimize purchasing power.
- Responsible for planning procurement actions and analysis of procurement requests.
- Monitor and supervise Procurement Assistants in Kenya mission
- Ensure that the Purchase Requisition Forms submitted to Procurement Unit are perfectly completed; regarding needful signatures, and WBS/s. Ensure financial
authorization is received from the Program Manager, RMO, CoM, and GPSU/MAC according to Purchase Authorization Threshold.
- Ensure with Finance Unit that appropriate funds are available for each purchase.
- Identification of service providers, evaluate vendors against performance, reliability, quality, price, delivery in respect of organizations’ best interests and donor
- Solicit and analyze bids for conformity to specified requirements, conduct supplier appraisals and select suppliers.
- Taking under consideration while conducting a bidding process, the value of money, quality, compatibility, payment method, warranty, after selling services, and the company profile / reputation.
- Make sure to get a suitable delivery period which meets the projects implementation schedule.
- Follow-up on purchase orders status and keep customers abreast of estimated time,of delivery or any changes that may affect or modify the pre-determined delivery conditions.
- Ensure through established procedures, that all received goods/works/services are in accordance with the terms and specifications of the respective PO/Contracts.
- By coordination with the Logistics procurement officer, ensure that LEG Dept in Geneva has reviewed and endorsed the agreements/contracts prior the signature.
- Ensure that the “Goods Receipt Notes” are acknowledged by the Requisitioner when the services/works are rendered and/or the goods are received and perform MIGO in PRISM.
- Ensure all goods and assets are sent to field offices using most efficient way.
- Liaise with field offices and field procurement assistants to ensure all items sent are properly received and PRISM is updated.
- Conduct first review of vendor invoices to ensure compliance with POs/Contracts and goods/works/services received.
- Submit with supporting documentation Payment Requests to the Finance Unit to execute in-Mission Payments or Mission Payment Requests (MPR). Follow up with the Finance Unit to ensure that suppliers’ accounts are settled on time.
- Liaise with the local/private transportation companies concerning transport and delivery of goods from Nairobi to the field locations. Responsible for the
loading/offloading of the cargo when needed and hire a sufficient labor to cover the job properly.
- Carry out the coordination and supervision of logistical operations in the field. Through continues coordination with assistants in the field.
- Monitor the vendors for the compliance to the contractual agreements.
- Undertake any other duties within the incumbent’s capabilities that might be assigned by the Logistics/Procurement Officer or the Head of Country Office.
Senior Logistics/Procurement Assistant Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or Higher in Purchasing and Supplies, Business Administration or any other related and relevant field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience; or
- High School/Certificate in the above fields with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Relevant experience in Logistics and Procurement;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, discretion and accuracy in appropriate areas of work;
- Proven ability to coordinate work of others, within and outside IOM;
- Work experience in an international organization is preferred;
- Ability to perform well under pressure and flexibility in handling unexpected work assignments as and when required;
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Good at negotiating, networking and dealing with numbers;
- Good knowledge in using a range of office equipment and excellent working knowledge in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and Databases.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required.
- Accountability – Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Client Orientation – Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Continuous Learning – Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Communication – Actively shares relevant information
- Creativity and Initiative – Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – Convinces others to share resources
- Planning and Organizing – Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Professionalism – Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Teamwork – Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Technological Awareness – Learns about developments in available technology
- Resource Mobilization – Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
Submit cover letter and CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to: International Organization for Migration (IOM), Human Resources Department, send via email to [email protected]. Closing Date: 23 November, 2016.Only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details.