M-KOPA is seeking:
Position Title: Business Intelligence Analyst
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Position Start: As soon as possible
Reporting to: Head of Business Intelligence Systems
Overall Purpose: Collecting and analyzing business requirements for the M-KOPA BI Platform and as acting as a liaison between business users and the BI development team.
About M-KOPA Solar: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 240,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan.
Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for Kshs 40, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting.
After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company’s proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPAnet.
As of January 2015 M-KOPA employs over 500 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
• Defines and documents business functions and processes.
• Consults with business users to identify, define and document business needs and objectives, current operational procedures, problems, input and output requirements.
• Acts as a liaison between developers and end-users in the analysis, design, configuration, and testing to ensure optimal operational performance.
• Engaging business users and the technology team in order to prioritize requests
• Analyzes the feasibility of, and develops requirements for, new systems and enhancements to existing systems; ensures the system design fits the needs of the users.
• Tracks and fully documents changes for functional and business specifications; writes detailed universally understood procedures for permanent records and for use in training.
• Identifies opportunities for improving business; assists in the preparation of proposals to develop new systems and/or operational changes.
• Conducts change impact analysis to assess the potential implications of changes and documents court business rules, functions and requirements.
• Participates in user acceptance testing and testing of new system functionality
• Developing user documentation and training manuals as required
• Bachelor’s degree /relevant credentials in technology, science, engineering, or electronics.
Experience, Knowledge & Skills:
• Required: Demonstrable SQL experience (preferably SQL Server)
• Required: Should have at least 3 years of experience working in a similar role
• Required: Advanced Excel knowledge
• Required: Ability to engage with and present to senior management
• Experience in Agile methodology will be a big plus
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills with keen attention to detail
• Experience in the development and implementation of standards, procedures and guidelines to support operational processes
• Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage own time with changing priorities in an agile environment
• A results oriented individual who thrives working in a fast paced environment
• Excellent interpersonal skills with a willingness to go the extra mile to assist other team members
Remuneration: Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
How to Apply
To apply, send an updated detailed copy of your CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to email@example.com with the subject EV-BI Analyst-2041
Deadline for applications 5pm on Friday 16th October, 2015.
Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview.
Therefore, if you have not heard from M-KOPA within 4 weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.