M-KOPA is seeking:
Position Title: Credit Risk Data Analyst
Location: Nairobi HQ
Position Start: As soon as possible
Reporting to: Head of Data
Overall Purpose: The role of the Credit Risk Data Analyst is to understand, analyze and make recommendations about the portfolio performance.
The role requires someone who is highly competent with numbers, analytical techniques and translating these to actionable outcomes for the business.
The person who fills this role should be independently minded, with excellent communications skills and strong grasp of business processes.
About M-KOPA Solar: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 200,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan. Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for US $0.45, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting.
After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company’s proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPAnet.
As of May 2015 M-KOPA employs over 650 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognized for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
- Analyze credit data at a portfolio and segmented level.
- Assist with quantifying & defining customer segmentation.
- Prepare reports with recommendations of how to improve the quality of the portfolio.
- Devise, test and implement tests to improve credit performance of the portfolio.
- Produce a monthly credit risk report.
- Leads effort to identify and implement metrics and measurement of risk data.
- Relevant bachelors’ degree.
- 4 years credit experience with non-traditional credit providers is an advantage.
- Understand credit methodologies.
- Have previously written credit strategies or significantly contributed to them.
Knowledge / Skills:
- Excellent SQL & advanced excel skills
- Relevant financial or credit certification is a plus
- Highly numerically articulate.
- Credit strategies
- Strong presentation skills
- Remuneration: Competitive monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
How to Apply
To apply, send an updated detailed copy of your CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to email@example.com with the subject EV-CRDA-2030 Deadline for applications is 26th September, 2015.
Applications coming in after this date will not be considered.
Please Note: Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview.
Therefore, if you have not heard from M-KOPA within 4 weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.