Position Title: Executive Assistant to the CEO
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Position Start: As soon As Possible
Reporting to: CEO
About M-KOPA Solar: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 400,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan.
Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for KES 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting.
After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company’s proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPAnet.
As of November, 2016 M-KOPA employs over 1000 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognized for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT.
To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs.
The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
Calendar / Agenda / Travel Management
- Effective organisation and management of the CEO’s schedule to ensure efficiency.
- Effective assessment of priority of appointments and reallocation as necessary.
- Manage visibility of the CEO’s calendar across the organisation
- Providing support for an extensive range of meetings. This will include preparing agendas, pre-meeting briefings and meeting papers, noting action points and following them up.
- Develop and manage the CEO’s travel itineraries
- Organise and manage all travel and logistical arrangements
- Management of all incoming and outgoing correspondence and responding or re-routing accordingly
- Management of all internal and external queries and requests, responding and re-directing accordingly
- Communicate and coordinate internal and external information from the CEO’s office to the leadership teams, heads of Departments and other stakeholders.
- Prepare agendas, research and document information for meetings involving issues and projects deemed necessary by the CEO; proactively ensure successful execution of the above
- Inform/Advise the CEO of organisation-wide matters requiring attention
- Manages and balances the CEO’s continuous interactions either internal or external
- Serves as a member and secretary (meetings notes & action items) of the Executive leadership team.
- Generate and instill trust within the CEO’s office while maintaining exceptional levels of confidentiality
- In liaison with the CEO, assist in the development and preparation of the Agenda and presentations
- Preparation and compilation of Board papers for the CEO’s review and approval
- Manage and coordinate dissemination of Board papers to board members
- Develop and manage itineraries for members as required
- Manage and co-ordinate all logistical requirements for Board members
General Administrative Management
- Coordinate project-based work.
- Coordinating the duties and responsibilities of the Administrative Assistant, driver(s) and all other essential support staff in the CEO’s office.
- Manage the CEO’s office budget and other attendant financial processes
- Set up and manage an efficient e-filing system
- Maintain internal/external contact details for use by the CEO’s office
- Set up a system to ensure follow up and follow through on all project deadlines and responses
- Prepare and manage the CEO’s expenses – includes expense reports and relevant payment documentation
- Manage requisition of the CEO’s office supplies
Requirements / Specification
- Be a holder of a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University. A postgraduate degree will be an added advantage
- Solid experience as an Executive Assistant to CEO/senior management or a managerial role of note.
- Excellent IT skills including working knowledge of word processing, spread sheet and presentation software packages, preferably Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- High cultural diversity awareness and management
- Excellent team working skills with the ability to work collaboratively and co-operatively with colleagues.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to ensure effective communication with a wide range of contacts both internal and external to the organisation.
- Ability to assimilate large quantities of written and verbal communication quickly and produce accurate, timely minutes and presentations.
- Excellent attention to detail, including proof reading skills, with the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Demonstration of the ability to work under sustained pressure and to tight deadlines.
- A flexible, pro-active approach to work including the ability to prioritize affairs.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Ability to multitask and follow instructions
Remuneration: Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
How to Apply
To apply, please logon HERE. Click on “click to apply” and follow the application instructions. It is advised to complete all the required fields as requested as well as any assessments stipulated as a requirement.
Please Note: M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.
Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from M-KOPA within eight weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.